Carolinas HealthCare System

There are newer employer reviews for Carolinas HealthCare System

Weekender RN

Current Employee - Weekender RN in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Weekender RN in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carolinas HealthCare System part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, large system with lots of employment opportunities

Cons

Hard to get real raises. 2-3% raise annually doesn't keep up with inflation and increasing prices of goods and services

The call out policy for weekenders needs revision. People don't always get sick Monday-Friday, when they are not working. If you call out 1 time for being sick on you weekend to work you are to be written up. Doesn't make sense. Should we come to work sick and get cross looks from our patients when they realize there nurse is sick and shouldn't really be working but has to in order to not get written up?

151 Other Employee Reviews for Carolinas HealthCare System (View Most Recent)

Depends on what unit you work, shift, team leader, manager, etc.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Florence, SC

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries.
    Float nurses lucky enough to be assigned to a floor with a dedicated team leader, count your blessings, for they are rare. I felt like part of a team in those instances. If I could have gotten permanent placement to those particular units, I would have accepted.

Cons

Most units I've worked on the staff offered little assist/direction to floaters. They seemed more focused on the social aspects of the job, eg: lunch, gossip, cell phones, etc, rather than patient care. Also, being new to the Florence, South Carolina area, I was reminded of it daily, and not in a good way.

Please evaluate the effectiveness of leaders who have close friends and relatives who are a part of their team. Bias and "clics" are common and you need to be Switzerland for staff who find themselves on the outside.

Disappointed after 20 years of loyal service.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monroe, NC

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Thankful to have been a part of what seemed to appreciate employee loyalty for so long. The amount of Paid Time Off I was up to was definitely a pro. Being able to transfer within the system was also a great service available. As far as the family friendly employer, that all depended on which management you were under at the time.

Cons

With CHS being the 2nd largest healthcare system in the nation, the rates for their employees' insurance premiums were outrageous. The pay raises were minimal to nonexistent. The employees are rarely rewarded for going above and beyond. And when we're seen within one of CHS facilities as patients....they won't hesitate to turn us over to a collection agency. And lastly, if you have a string of bad luck life events happen, and you're a long-timer with the company, the willingness to be understanding and family friendly no longer exists.

VP's and AVP's should be more involved in what goes on in the practices. If they talked to the employees, they would find out what the root of the problems were.

There are newer employer reviews for Carolinas HealthCare System