Carolinas HealthCare System

www.carolinashealthcare.org
Engaged Employer

Fine Health System with talented people

I have been working at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time

Pros

Large system that offers many different career opportunities. Talented workforce. Interesting work. Always a new project.

Cons

Always a new project, never time to optimize. While a small detail, workspace was maxed out and outdated. Compensation, at the time, was below market.

Other Employee Reviews for Carolinas HealthCare System

1. Weekender RN

Current Employee - Weekender RN in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Weekender RN in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carolinas HealthCare System part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, large system with lots of employment opportunities

Cons

Hard to get real raises. 2-3% raise annually doesn't keep up with inflation and increasing prices of goods and services

Advice to Management

The call out policy for weekenders needs revision. People don't always get sick Monday-Friday, when they are not working. If you call out 1 time for being sick on you weekend to work you are to be written up. Doesn't make sense. Should we come to work sick and get cross looks from our patients when they realize there nurse is sick and shouldn't really be working but has to in order to not get written up?

2. Depends on what unit you work, shift, team leader, manager, etc.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Florence, SC

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries. Float nurses lucky enough to be assigned to a floor with a dedicated team leader, count your blessings, for they are rare. I felt like part of a team in those instances. If I could have gotten permanent placement to those particular units, I would have accepted.

Cons

Most units I've worked on the staff offered little assist/direction to floaters. They seemed more focused on the social aspects of the job, eg: lunch, gossip, cell phones, etc, rather than patient care. Also, being new to the Florence, South Carolina area, I was reminded of it daily, and not in a good way.

Advice to Management

Please evaluate the effectiveness of leaders who have close friends and relatives who are a part of their team. Bias and "clics" are common and you need to be Switzerland for staff who find themselves on the outside.