There are newer employer reviews for Carpathia Hosting

Small Business environment allows employees to wear multiple hats and learn ALOT of new technologies

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting

Pros

Great culture of fun, family-like co-workers. Good working environment - the new headquarters is amazing. The small business environment allows for the chance to take on new tasks and learn as you go. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Limited growth in some departments. Management is super tight on spending, sometimes limiting the purchase of necessary tools, software, etc. Not a lot of transparency from the top down. The management team is like a little boys club - locker room talk, secretative.

Advice to Management

Set and live the example for ALL employees, especially those in your department.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best company I have ever worked at!

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting

Pros

I love working for Carpathia! I actually look forward to coming to work everyday. I work as part of a great team of highly intelligent and talented Systems Administrators and Engineers. Management is awesome and they have your back as long as you can explain your actions. You will get to experience a ton of different environments. There is always something new to learn. This job can present challenges that will humble any Admin or Engineer, but that is a good thing. I really hope the QTS buyout doesn't change how things are, especially in my department. It's the people who work there, especially in Operations, management particularly, that make it worth working there. We are all a bunch of Comic Book/Video Game/Sci-Fi IT geeks/nerds who actually get along with each other. It's the little things that make the difference. Other companies serve up the Kool-Aid to try to trick you into believing they are great, Carpathia doesn't have to. We do have some unique personalities that don't fit in elsewhere, but that is one of the things that makes working there so great! Work hard/Play hard mentality is awesome!

Cons

The QTS buyout does have some employees nervous, but it's understandable as most mergers have issues for current employees. It's still to be determined how much this will effect us. Communication between departments could be better, but I've experienced much worse. An actual training program would be nice, but the nature of our job makes it hard to create one. Just give it a few months and you will pick it up though. Just ask questions, the other guys on your team will actually help you. Work life balance can be strained sometimes. When stuff goes down you may have to work late, or get a call in the middle of the night, but that is not really a con. Take pride in your work and work hard. Don't come here just to collect a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep employees from leaving. The teams we have are great, keep them that way.

2. Things in flux

Current Employee - Tech in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Tech in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No longer venture-owned Still not great about it, but getting better about documentation and process As part of the purchase by QTS, Carpathia will have matching 401k in 2016, finally

Cons

Recent acquisition has staff nervous Doesn't pay as much as other firms in area Tends to lurch from one "priority project" to another training process needs work