Carpenter Technology

www.cartech.com
There are newer employer reviews for Carpenter Technology

It is a steel mill; it employs laborers and mechanics in addition to various type office jobs.

Current Employee - Material Handler Specialist in Reading, PA
Current Employee - Material Handler Specialist in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has been in business for over 100 yrs, without a labor union. It occupies appr. 300 acres of land on the outskirts of Reading. We make a decent wage for the labor that we provide, and our benefits are fairly compatible to other company's plans.

Cons

The only 2 drawbacks that I perceive here are the lack of vacation days and the outrageous timeframe it takes a person to reach just 5 wks. In addition, working 6 and 7 days a wk can get old real fast.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Carpenter Technology (View Most Recent)

Carpenter Technology is a great company to work for. The work life balance is difficult be prepared.

Current Employee - Process Technician in Woonsocket, RI
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at Carpenter Technology

Pros

The Career Growth opportunities within Carpenter are unmatched for a company of this size. The company also offers an exceptional benefits package. The work environment is very positive employees work well together, and there is widespread acceptance among coworkers. The company is moving forward and rapidly developing.

Cons

Carpenter is synonomous with long hours. Expect to work whatever hours are needed and to be pushed by management for everything you can offer. The work is also physically demanding and the job can be dirty at times.

Carpenter is a great company to work for management is for the most part very responsive to issues and the company is constantly moving forward.

Generally great support all around, but resistance to change at many levels of the company

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology

Pros

Carpenter provides steady work (and sometimes too much of it) and pays an above average rate for the work that salaried employees do. The benefits package is fair and they are willing to pay tuition costs if you are interested in furthering your education. Working conditions are good and management is generally reasonable in their requests.

Cons

Working three rotating shifts is really tough on most production workers. There is some resentment that most of the salaried staff is all day shift, which results in bad feelings sometimes. As with anyplace the demand for performance is high, and sometimes beyond possible. People are quick to point fingers when things go wrong, and many suggestions from the floor get ignored. Granted some of those suggestions are unreasonable, but the supervision and management should take more time to explain the reasoning.

Listen more to the people who do the hands on work. Some of the lower level engineers and all of the production workers have lots of great input, but that seems to go by the wayside. The employee communication team is mostly made of people who either are ass-kissers or are perceived that way. Adding random employees to that team might let some issues surface.
    I left the company under amicable conditions, but a few years later desired to return and my old job was open. I did not even get a call or an e-mail saying thanks but no thanks or anything. I could have stepped in there with literally no training and done the job well, and appreciated it more. Maybe someone should be looking into things like that. i have a general good feeling about the company and have many friends and colleagues who still are there, so nothing I've said here is done mean-spirited. I wish you the best of luck.

There are newer employer reviews for Carpenter Technology