Cars.com

www.cars.com

If you like getting yelled at by grumpy old Sales Reps and car dealers, this is for you.

Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFun work parties and good benefits. Encouraging team leads and fun environment (people were the fun, not getting yelled at all day over the phone).

ConsAs I said, you take every complaint and have to handle it as if it is personally your fault. The metrics (though heavily emphasized and important) don't mean a thing. I performed incredibly well and still was treated the same as those performing incredibly poorly. Not to mention what they measure your "success" and "progress" on is constantly changing in order to "improve the ranking system" which does not equate to how well the employee is doing. Oh, and if you want to go to the bathroom, you better make sure you're aware that this hurts your "adherence" or time that you have to be ready to take a call from someone upset, angry, and thinks everything is your fault when it is actually their fault. The Sales Reps are miserable old people who have been in the sales game for far too long and don't even know a thing about the product(s) let alone how to use the internet.

They also implement all these processes that essentially make the website more difficult to use for employees and customers. Account Managers call you to solve problems and make updates that they should be able to handle themselves but they are just too lazy. Mostly, they are girls that came from working retail and Urban Outfitters who shouldn't have been hired but they knew someone who already worked at the place so they were. Account Managers essentially did not do a thing and knew it, and laughed at the fact that they could get away with it. I spoke to so many Account Managers who call in frantically, about to cry, fixed their problem and walked them through how to fix it next time. What happens next? They call the next day with the same issue, and I do the same thing.

Managers are nice and walk around sincerely making an effort to connect with employees in support. However, they have no idea what we do day-to-day and just care about ridiculously meticulous checkpoints that are expected out of each call, even though some calls it is not necessary nor applicable.

In short, you are really just just a rag doll that everyone treats like crap and you have to smile while it happens and take blame for things that are their fault, not yours. On top of that you have to fix their problems. I like customer service, but taking so much blame for something I did not do/cause is just absurd. You can't even respond in any way that asserts yourself as knowledgable/assertive because you will receive a terrible Quality Assessment score. If you like taking crap from people all day and having them explain how they screwed up but it's your fault, then this job is perfect for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't focus so much on stupid metrics that don't matter. Walk one day in a Customer Care Specialist's shoes and you will be kissing our feet for what we do. Walking around saying "hello" is nice and all, but you don't know what we actually do. Hire and promote people that are qualified and top performers, not people that know someone, kiss butt, or have been there the longest. Know what your employees actually do on a daily basis because you don't.

Great Company Culture. Like family!

Digital Media Senior Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Cars.com full-time for more than a year

Pros: Well recognized brand. Great product. Outstanding leadership Cons: Forcing new products to customers who don't need or want… Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up! More

Great experience at cars.com, innovative company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cars.com

Pros: Work remotely, trust in employees, good people to work with Cons: $ can depend on territory Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cars.com.

Worked for Cars.com? Contribute to the Community!