There are newer employer reviews for Carter Lumber

It's been easy going, educative and enjoyable. Hard work, decent compensation, good management.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Roseville, OH
Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Roseville, OH

I have been working at Carter Lumber

Pros

Management at the particular store is a dream come true.
Good place for an entry level retail in building materials to grown and learn.
Trust and respect lower level employees.

Cons

Undermanned, too much work too little pay.

Advice to Management

Don't keep workers employed out of "tradition". Fire people that aren't pulling their weight.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Overall my experience working at Carter Lumber has been positive,

Current Employee - Kitchen Sales Representative in Conneaut Lake, PA
    Current Employee - Kitchen Sales Representative in Conneaut Lake, PA

I have been working at Carter Lumber

Pros

I have worked for Carter at 4 stores in 3 states in the last 14 years and have held a number of positions over the years. It has given me the opportunity to learn many diferent aspects of the lumber business and I have been able to work some great people, both co-workers and the contractors and do-it-yourselfers who deal with us. I have especially enjoyed learning to design and sell kitchens because it is such a rewarding experience to take someone from the dreaming of a new kitchen stage through the budgeting,and planning stages and to finally see the finished project.

Cons

Because each location is so small, usually betweeen 10 and 20 employees per store, it is often necessary to wear several hats. While I have enjoyed most of the jobs that I have learned to do there, now that I have really found my niche, I sometimes resent having to go back, as it were, to a former position because there aren't enough people to cover the sales counter without depending on me to do it.

Advice to Management

Providing more opportunities for kitchen sales representatives to get together to exchange ideas and information about vendors, products, etc.. would be very helpful.

2. not that great. the wadsworth branch shut down and any other location near was not busy enough to transfer me elsewhere.

Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Wadsworth, OH
    Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Wadsworth, OH

I worked at Carter Lumber

Pros

i guess it is a good job if you are in college like i am. just a low paying but steady job to get you through.

Cons

it shut down and left me jobless. any other higher positions were taken and did not need any others, so i was nowhere near a promotion. the management sucked,

Advice to Management

corporate needs to step it up. if the right people were running this and taking risks and making right decisions along with the correct and right amount of advertising carter lumber would be the absolute best lumber company in the u.s. i believe even better than home depot! if i was in the family/owner of carter lumber i know the 1st changes i would be making!!!