There are newer employer reviews for Cartera Commerce

Working at Cartera Commerce is like working on Gilligan's Island: everything is built out of sticks and coconuts

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Lexington, MA
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Cartera Commerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cartera's people are great; but it feels like we're all wasting our career time working here.

Cons

Business model seems to be broken. Issues are non-technical. There is no technical or software solution to the fact that the company's customers, large banks, airlines, and retail and online merchants are not interested in Cartera's products. I can't stand the constant layoffs - being a survivor of these rounds of surprise force reductions means I'm doing twice the work as when I was hired, yet I receive no bonuses as Cartera fails to achieve its company goals year after year.

Layoffs are killing Cartera Commerce. Set realistic, achievable goals for the company that you can hit.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Cartera Commerce (View Most Recent)

If one cannot reach the grape vine, one will claim it is sour!!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Cartera Commerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is a great company to work for! Yes, there are a few "mishaps" every now and then, but, show me one company that doesn't. I worked in the biggest/smallest of companies for a decade now, and this place is no different. Things can be improved....Yes, but is it bad to work here? NOOOOO. If an employee was not satisfied for what ever reason, the employee seems to want to "bash" this company just for the sake of bashing.

Older technology, bad managers - I even disagree with that; The manager that was let go had a great review just before the whole thing happened, actually, she took everyone out for lunch that day because one of our co-workers was leaving the company.

Show me a company where you can talk to the CEO, CTO and the founders - who are working with you side-by-side freely and without reservation! Show me a company that empowers the employee - as long as the employee delivers and last but not least show me a company that invests alot of money in training their people and ensuring they are happy

People left for reasons like "old technology"... Well. Last week, Oracle released Solaris 11 and the president said "the average production application age in the USA is 20 years" so, suggest improvements instead of moaning about it. There is Java, SOLR and Mule (just in the product feed side of the house) and I don't know of anyone who asked to work on them and was denied - while I been working here at least

Bashing scrum!!! Scrum is a tool to get something done! So, next time you break a chair, you can simply blame it on the screw driver you used...

I am not an executive, an investor or a "paid reviewer"! I am a senior software developer who enjoys his work and likes the people he works with everyday. What provoked me to write this review is this un-justified bashing of this company.... and like they say where I came from: "if one cannot reach the grape vine, one will claim it is sour".

Cons

I don't know anything outside the usual cons for any IT based company.

1. enforce exit interviews and clear any misunderstandings prior to the employee's last day at the company

Cartera Commerce is not a good place to work if you are uncomfortable with frequent involuntary force reductions

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Cartera Commerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent coffee and hot chocolate in the kitchen, although the kitchen area itself is very smelly and unsanitary; the trash can is right next to the water fountain. My girls loved the Cartera Easter Bunny and egg hunt and the children's face painting at the Cartera Commerce Christmas party.

Cartera Commerce is really short staffed on coders, which can be a good thing if you are an American programmer, however things ran much smoother when Cartera Commerce had actual certified project managers that knew how to code themselves; now they have a bunch of never-weres from a pantheon of failed Boston zombie startups, prancing around with printed sheets telling us engineers how to "Do Scrum". None of them actually have any real world programming or development experience, so it is hard to respect them in the same way I did their predecessors.

The closing down of the Atlanta office signified the result of the M&A activity; bridge loans really helped to save the company, and although it was a difficult decision to let hundreds go, it was definitely the right choice to save Cartera Commerce and made we want to stay to help save what was left here in Boston. I have made a lot of friends in Engineering while I have been here, and it was tough and very traumatic for all concerned here at Cartera Commerce to see everyone in Atlanta lose their jobs and their families thrown into turmoil, but it is a part of life and business and it is really for the best. In another year or two, I am sure the wisdom of the merger and the closing of the Atlanta office and the Cartera Commerce Atlanta layoffs will be put into perspective as the best management decision Cartera Commerce could possibly have made to save the company.

Cons

Very poor technology and a consistent lack of direction from the senior management team. The company has never been profitable, and there are two or three major involuntary force reductions a year. I have never received my full bonus working at Cartera Commerce; the company has missed their numbers every quarter I have worked here. This represents a huge opportunity cost to me and my family.

I have never worked anywhere where the senior managers and department heads fought among themselves so much. There is always somebody yelling or screaming in this office, and the senior managers hide in their offices with the doors closed. I lost confidence in the company's direction and business model long ago, with the exception of the closing of the Atlanta office and the layoffs there, which I supported as a longtime employee. In Cartera Commerce Engineering, we saw the writing on the wall long ago.

Confusing system architecture and a humorously complex enterprise email system that looks like it was built on Gilligan's Island: all sticks and coconuts; The foreign guest worker programmers barely speak English and are terrible at writing code. It is tedious to work with them due to the poor communication skills and cultural differences. I have had to learn bits of Hindi just to do my programming work.

The build process is broken; Cartera Commerce has always been in need of Release Management and a continuous deployment model. I know, I know, "Lean Startup"..."Scrum"...etc., etc.

None of the senior managers have ever worked for a profitable successful company, and they seemingly have no idea how to turn a dollar.

Now, about the term "Carterrorized":

I have never worked with meaner Engineering Directors at a software company; It has been five years of "Management by crisis" for me. I am constantly either being directly screamed at, stared down at the conference table by my current Development Manager (who is decidedly non-technical) or witnessing some poor project manager just trying to do his job get screamed out of his khakis by managers with no engineering ability or management skill. At one point, Cartera Commerce basically tarred and feathered their entire PMO and ran them out of the building on a rail. I am tired of the effect this has all had on my family as well as me; Working here is a big load of stress and job security worry.

I never know if we'll have enough money or if I will keep my job at Cartera Commerce each June through August through the Cartera summer layoff season. My wife just wants to send the girls to their summer camp in Maine, so I hope I make it through this year.

When I first started working here, it was hard to code in PHP on every single layer of the application with no development framework in place. The Smarty templating engine is obsolete and makes the "Malls" (they are just landing pages really) look like they were coded in 1994.

There is no "Big Data" at Cartera Commerce. The senior architects and senior developers just sit around all day and play with map reduce scripts with no practical application. Most of them don't write any code, certainly not any production code. I have no idea how skilled they may be, as I have worked here for five years in Engineering and have never reviewed a line of their j2ee or PHP code. It must be great work if you can get it; happy for them.

The UX and UI suffers from a lack of trained user experience professionals and the inexperience of our Eastern European and Indian foreign guest workers, which comprise 75% of the programmers here.

I don't think there are any certified PMs in the"PMO": that group is always in flux, so there is never any direction on technical software development projects at all. One of the Directors there just cannot make up her/his mind. Famous last words in software development: "Phase two". I always get a sinking feeling in my stomach when I hear her/him talking about a coding project I have been assigned to; I don't think it's funny when she/he jokes about failed software projects. I get nervous around PMO Directors who joke about failed projects. This is my career and my family life at stake here. Write functional specification documents, or hire a professional certified project manager who knows how to manage a software development project, please.

I really am not really a fan of all of the new people they brought in from Intuit; Despite all the slogans on the walls, and the doublethink Orwellian office plan, there seems to be a complete lack of experience among these transplanted "Resources" with deploying actual working software. I don't think it was a great idea to hire so many people from the same former company. Overall, I would say the new people definitely hurt the ability of the company to develop and deploy interesting software products and lowered the development IQ of Cartera Commerce Engineering irreversibly.

All the talented programmers left the company this past year; the ones that were not let go that is. I have had three of my development managers let go in my five years here; I am on my fifth boss in as many years. Massive layoffs == engineering brain drain.

Compensation is about 30% below market rates. No health insurance coverage for the first 90 days of employment? Why? The policy of working programmers for 60 hours a week with no bonus or overtime pay is destructive and harmful to the Cartera Commerce employment brand. I already cannot ask my developer friends to apply to work here at Cartera Commerce because of all the layoffs. Stop hiring people from Intuit; we don't need to hire every person who just got let go from Intuit. Programmers work best when they are managed by professionals who can handle their emotions.

There are newer employer reviews for Cartera Commerce

Worked for Cartera Commerce? Contribute to the Community!