Carton Service

cartononline.com
  cartononline.com
There are newer employer reviews for Carton Service

Great Customers, Bad Management

I have been working at Carton Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers are generally really great to work with. Good coworkers. The owners are friendly unless you screw up.

Cons

No paid time off, no sick days, no respect, too micromanaged. Owners are also the only managers and they make it very clear that the bottom line is the most important thing. Employee satisfaction not considered. Don't make any mistakes!

Easy up on the employees, invest in some sort of paid time off for tenure. Don't treat your employees like they are a 12 year old kid,

6 Other Employee Reviews for Carton Service (View Most Recent)

You'll get burned if you work here, the owner is a snake.

Former Employee - Various in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Various in Portland, OR

I worked at Carton Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been away from the company for a little over a year now, and had a good insight to the business by the time I was gone. I thought about writing a review when I left... but I was too angry to write anything then. Now, I'm not angry but have been left with a bad taste in my mouth. At this point there are very little pros that I can think of. The only one that I comes to mind, is that they are flexible with time off - if the owners consider you a good worker. The business it could be fun, I held three different roles in two years there, the co-workers I had there made it a fun place to work.

Cons

By the time I left, I was one of two employees remaining from when I started. They drove away people that had worked for them for YEARS.

They grossly underpay everyone. Full time positions are almost always temp to hire... they didn't bring me on full time for 7 months and not for lack of funds in the budget or my performance, and then made me wait 3 months to get benefits. The entire time I was there I never received an employee handbook (which did exist on the server, but was a locked file), I had requested one four times, and the last two were in writing. One of my co-workers had one, and it disappeared after the wife (one of the owners) "cleaned up" my co-worker and I's work space for us.

I eventually got to a position that utilized my skills, was never given a title, or an official list of responsibilities, and no pay raise. By Market rates in Portland I was underpaid at least 15k/yr, if not more. After getting chewed out almost daily by the owner (who is not named correctly on this profile), and receiving or having to stand-by and watch others get the "weird" talks he would give for several months, and with no renumeration for the ever increasing expectations, I decided to work to the level I felt I was being compensated for.

By this time it was a paycheck, not a place I enjoyed anymore. The life was being sucked out of the place. The owners actively discouraged and took action against any fraternization between any employees.

Eventually people started to drop off, they were alienating everyone, they didn't want to hear it, and really didn't care. In the end, I jumped ship with everyone else. They expected it would come and in the process they were frantically trying to question everyone who remained, who might jump next.

Loosen up. Stop spending tens of thousands of dollars per month on tech toys and design clothing. Invest in your employees if you want the business to grow.

Hard work, low pay. Dont work here.

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker/Driver in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker/Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at Carton Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Owner asks alot from employees and does not pay that well. They only seem to care about money and not to much about their employees

There is GPS in all the trucks and about 50 cameras in the warehouse and front office.
    You cant take a crap without the owner knowing. Overall not a bad place work, if you dont mind working your ass off for little pay and having to listen to the owner complain that you are wasting
    his time and money. Micromanageing is very big in this company.

Cons

The computer system is easy to learn and use. Overtime is there if you want it.

Have a little trust in your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Carton Service