There are newer employer reviews for Cash America

Cashland- Things could certainly be better.

Current Employee - Cash Advance Associate
Current Employee - Cash Advance Associate

I have been working at Cash America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The starting pay is better than the majority of other places in my area.
-Sundays off
-Freedom to do things my own way.
-Overall co-workers are friendly.

Cons

-Training process isn't great.
-They keep adding new "financial solutions" for customers without properly explaining how to do them. Way too many of those solutions combined with inadequate training makes doing all of them on a daily basis confusing at times.
-Really unorganized way of doing a lot of things. This includes scheduling, and the constant changes made there really annoy me.
-Some customers are absolutely horrendous, rude, and obnoxious. There's not a very good process for dealing with that. Basically it's "good luck."
-The program used for cash advance loans/pawns/etc seems to fail or slow down to ridiculously slow speeds constantly. This makes angry customers even more angry, impatient customers angry customers, and patient customers upset customers. Again, there's not a very good process for dealing with that. At least not when it happens over and over.
-There doesn't appear to be any real advancement opportunities from what I've seen; even though the company mentioned them several times in the hiring process. Unless someone retires, quits, moves, or dies I don't see my part-time position in the company changing or going anywhere.

Please work on getting the systems stabilized to keep the stress off our backs. We have enough of it most days without any additions because of slow programs or total system failures.

91 Other Employee Reviews for Cash America (View Most Recent)

Multifaceted Job in Fast-Paced Environment Helping Customers Meet Their Short-term Financial Needs.

Current Employee - Pawn Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Pawn Shop Manager

I have been working at Cash America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A pawn shop is a great place to work if you value helping others who need money to tide them over until the next paycheck. Many people appreciate the help they receive and truly try to redeem their property by the end of the loan (pawn) period. The shop hours are better than average for retail and the stores are closed on the major holidays. There are advancement possibilities and always a need for good industrious people. The company offers all of the usual benefits .

Cons

The pay is not great, in spite of the bonus potential every month. Many of our own employees have to pawn items in other shops to tide them over to their next check! Even when shorthanded, there is pressure not to grant overtime to those willing to work longer hours, but the work has to get down somehow. There is a stronger concentration from those above the shop level now on the bottom line instead of on the customer, which is reflected in the changes in the fee structure which occurred last year. In addition, there is now much more (unnecessary) paperwork to be completed!

Rationalize the paperwork that is required and eliminate the redundancies. Much of the reports is not read or reacted upon anyway. The SMT preparation, FAP and business plan can all be streamlined and parts eliminated. Put together a step-by-step planning guide for new associates with a time-line. Concentrate on the core business and drop the emphasis on selling retail items on craigslist, which costs a lot of time and results in very few sales.

Its ok.

I have been working at Cash America

Pros

Co-workers are fantastic. Money is ok if you work for a good store !

Cons

They promote people who have no idea what they are doing. Their "Mentor" managers dont do anything , the assistants do all of the work. Market manager doesnt listen to his staff and only hears what he wants to hear. Manager can do whatever they please talk on cell phones, do transactions with customers outside of the store but thats a no no for anyone else. No time for family or to have a life. Expect to work 50 hours or more.

Give your assistants more props, we dont make near what the managers and most of the time we run the shop. You put alot into the assistants telling us we can make a difference but as soon as we try to the manager wont let you do anything. We are glorified CSRs.

There are newer employer reviews for Cash America