Nice place to work

I have been working at Cash America

Pros

Cash America Pawn is a really nice place to work with a nice friendly environment. Depending on your area or region this may or may not be the case. But overall the company is a nice place of employment.

Cons

Pay. The pay is not all that well in regard to the amount of work that is required. Management may or may not be paid well but the associate pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Open door policy

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Cashland- Things could certainly be better.

Current Employee - Cash Advance Associate
    Current Employee - Cash Advance Associate

I have been working at Cash America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The starting pay is better than the majority of other places in my area. -Sundays off -Freedom to do things my own way. -Overall co-workers are friendly.

Cons

-Training process isn't great. -They keep adding new "financial solutions" for customers without properly explaining how to do them. Way too many of those solutions combined with inadequate training makes doing all of them on a daily basis confusing at times. -Really unorganized way of doing a lot of things. This includes scheduling, and the constant changes made there really annoy me. -Some customers are absolutely horrendous, rude, and obnoxious. There's not a very good process for dealing with that. Basically it's "good luck." -The program used for cash advance loans/pawns/etc seems to fail or slow down to ridiculously slow speeds constantly. This makes angry customers even more angry, impatient customers angry customers, and patient customers upset customers. Again, there's not a very good process for dealing with that. At least not when it happens over and over. -There doesn't appear to be any real advancement opportunities from what I've seen; even though the company mentioned them several times in the hiring process. Unless someone retires, quits, moves, or dies I don't see my part-time position in the company changing or going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Please work on getting the systems stabilized to keep the stress off our backs. We have enough of it most days without any additions because of slow programs or total system failures.

2. Multifaceted Job in Fast-Paced Environment Helping Customers Meet Their Short-term Financial Needs.

Current Employee - Pawn Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Pawn Shop Manager

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A pawn shop is a great place to work if you value helping others who need money to tide them over until the next paycheck. Many people appreciate the help they receive and truly try to redeem their property by the end of the loan (pawn) period. The shop hours are better than average for retail and the stores are closed on the major holidays. There are advancement possibilities and always a need for good industrious people. The company offers all of the usual benefits .

Cons

The pay is not great, in spite of the bonus potential every month. Many of our own employees have to pawn items in other shops to tide them over to their next check! Even when shorthanded, there is pressure not to grant overtime to those willing to work longer hours, but the work has to get down somehow. There is a stronger concentration from those above the shop level now on the bottom line instead of on the customer, which is reflected in the changes in the fee structure which occurred last year. In addition, there is now much more (unnecessary) paperwork to be completed!

Advice to Management

Rationalize the paperwork that is required and eliminate the redundancies. Much of the reports is not read or reacted upon anyway. The SMT preparation, FAP and business plan can all be streamlined and parts eliminated. Put together a step-by-step planning guide for new associates with a time-line. Concentrate on the core business and drop the emphasis on selling retail items on craigslist, which costs a lot of time and results in very few sales.