Cash Store
www.cashstore.com Irving, TX 500 to 999 Employees

Decent pay for little work, but questionable morals & values

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was decent. It's based off cost of living in the area, so it is different everywhere. As a store manager, I started at $12/hour which isn't bad. They also have a schedule for raises. 50 cent raise after 3 months, another 50 cents after 6, and another 50 cents after 1 year. After that (I think) it goes up 50 cents every six months you are there. I ended at $13.50, which was pretty nice because as a store manager you also have to be there open-close Mon-Sat, so you're working around 47 hours/week & getting paid for your OT. Averaged around 35k/year.
The work was also easy, no physically demanding labor. You just sit at your desk, make phone calls and assist customers.
My manager was really cool too. Really down to Earth, funny chick who was easy to chat with when she was in the store. Awesome people skills, she was really good at her job.

ConsOne of the biggest issues is that I had to work there by myself with thousands of dollars in the store. I worked at a fast food restaurant before, and the policy there was that you were NEVER allowed to be in the store alone, in case of a robbery or if you had an accident and hurt yourself you don't want to be all alone with no help. So if someone came in angry (which happened almost every day) and wanted to rob me or hurt me, all I had to defend myself was a panic button. I was also supposed to have a button to remotely lock the door (if I saw someone suspicious coming in?) but the door does not shut all the way so it doesn't work. While I worked there, another store in the area about 10 minutes away got robbed. Hearing the details from the workers there was pretty scary. The guy just jumped over the counter! There is no protection from anyone that wants to do something like that.

I guess my biggest issue with the company is their management policies are not right. I will say although I had a really cool area manager, the problem is the policies that are coming from way higher up the totem pole. I worked there for 9 months when I had to take a Thursday through Monday off for minor surgery. This was time that was requested with more than 2 weeks notice and approved by my manager. When I came in to work the following Tuesday morning, on my way there I had a sick feeling in my stomach. I thought it was strange my manager hadn't at least texted, or called, to make sure everything went alright and to confirm I would be in on Tuesday morning. I got to work, and my manager was there with her manager as well, she already had all my stuff packed in a box on the counter. She read off a script printed out on a piece of paper saying I'm fired, & gave me the HR number to call for more info. I, of course, called the number. They wouldn't tell me a thing about the reason why I was fired. I was told Illinois is an "at will" state (which is true) and they do not need to disclose a reason. This was really, really disappointing after working there for 9 months, I couldn't even get a constructive reason why I was let go? I have never been fired in my life, and I'm really not taking it personally, I would have just really liked to have some reason why; if I wasn't doing something right, I would have liked to know.

To be 100% completely honest, & not trying to offend anyone here, it was really really hard for me to upsell people and convince people that taking out a loan at (no exaggeration) 400% APR was a smart financial decision. There were customers that literally made $1600/month, and took out a loan with biweekly payments of $400. Insanity.

There is a high turnover rate. There is sort of room for advancement, but you have to be really good at upselling people and blowing your stores numbers out of the water. My store did really well in 4/5 areas, but it didn't matter that I was doubling last year in those areas because that one other area wasn't doing well. It will take you a few years at least to get promoted as well, even if you are doing really well, you have to wait for a position to open up.

Dealing with the customers is really hard, even the ones who are able to make their payments are tough to deal with. They either hate you, because if they miss one payment out of their 6 month schedule, the interest (just because of the super high rate) piles on so quickly it's almost impossible to get back on track. Or they want to stay in the store for an hour telling you (for example) about their sick son and they have to take this loan out because of medical bills piling up, or being laid off work. I don't mind listening to these people who are going through such a hard time in their lives, but it's seriously day in and day out, and it can get really sad. You can't always help them. Actually, 9 times out of 10, the loans hurt them more in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure if I really can give any advice; my area supervisor was a great manager, and the other policies (such as the no-reason, read-off-a-script firing and the 400% interest rate putting people out of their cars/homes) are things that honestly won't be changed. That's their business model, that's how they make money. I'm predicting their business to be getting worse in the next few years, considering the economy coming back, I really hope less people will be losing their money to these types of loans & getting their credit back.

Do NOT work for this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cash Store

Pros: Absolutley nothing. This company sucks. Cons: Will work you like a dog and then discard you when they can't get any more blood from you. They need to put places like… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees like they are people not just a… – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Excellent Company to work for

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

I have been working at Cash Store full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The hours, the management team are the best in the business. Excellent benefits and environment. We are… Cons: Some misconceptions about this type of business. Advice to Senior Management: Keep up what you're doing. Great job Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cash Store.

Worked for Cash Store? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cash Store reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cash Store CEO Trevor Ahlberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Cash Store employees.