Caspio

www.caspio.com
There are newer employer reviews for Caspio

Great company to work for if you have entrepreneur mentality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Caspio full-time

Pros

-Growth potential is incredible. If you work hard but more importantly show results then you will get rewarded for your efforts. If you are looking for a job just to get by, then you will not last. However, if you are looking for a job where you want to make a big difference and do whatever it takes to execute then this is the place for you. You will quickly grow in your career. You are measured by your contribution rather than you credentials.
-Everyone is friendly, warm, and helpful. The company has an open door policy with very little hierarchy. If you need help, you can schedule with virtually anyone and they will help you out.
-The product is unique and has a lot of potential. The customer base is amazing.
-The CEO is tough but is reasonable and kind.
-Very diverse team with different backgrounds which gives you an insight in many cultures. There are a couple of potlucks with different variety of food. There are also company picnics, annual events, volunteer events, and occasional happy hours.

Cons

-Being in Silicon Valley, there is too many competition for engineering talent. Hence, there is not engineering resources.
-The biggest challenge is product exposure. Not enough people know about the product.

Aggressively hire more engineers, do more marketing/advertising, and provide more employee training.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Caspio (View Most Recent)

Nickel-and-diming customers, squeezing employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Caspio full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a few key employees who are the "department" managers of this small place. They are smart, hard working, and helpful people (but spread too thin). Every year they win the "Superstar" awards at the company meeting. But you'll have to work yourself to death to land in their shoes.

Cons

The business model seemed to be to constantly change the very confusing subscription pricing plans, with the cheapest plan being just about useless*, and the next plan up being orders of magnitude more expensive; then finding whatever you can charge the customer as extras, like 5 lines of JavaScript to make the product do something basic it should really do out of the box.

* Currently allows only 3 DataPages (forms or reports); can't make much of an app from that.

The other side of the biz plan coin then is hiring too few employees to handle the volume of customers begging for help on those various product deficiencies. A classic moment was when the CEO had his managers inform us we would be trying out "20% time" self-directed creative projects, like Google does. Unlike Google however, no work was being taken off your very full plate...so please kick in an EXTRA 20% I guess. I wasn't able to get away from my desk at lunchtime as it was, so not a good omen.

If you're a technical worker, lower your expectations. The Caspio product's development team is in the Ukraine. The "development" work locally is professional services contracts to create the customer's Caspio app for them. The coding will be light, as the server side is the point-and-click Caspio platform, so point and click your way through the various wizards. Then add a little JavaScript as front-end glue. Not likely to be a springboard for your development career. Go to any of myriad other small shops where you can work on a LAMP stack instead.

Perhaps due to this, the CEO seems intent on pushing even technical employees into a sales/account manager role. This is not something one could have reasonably expected from the interview, nor from the first few months of working there. It's pure bait and switch.

I laughed when I read another review as it reminded me...yes the CEO did actually call mandatory Friday lunch meetings now and then, on our time, to push his pet charity and pressure us to meet contribution goals. Then when 1:00 rolls around, get back on those phone banks!

Spend more resources improving the product. Then maybe you wouldn't have to obsess about tricky reverse psych sales techniques to pull on the customers, or turn the employees into Glengarry Glen Ross sad sacks.

Horrible CEO - Micro Management - Low Morale

I have been working at Caspio full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Many of the employees are very nice but they are being taken advantage of.

Cons

Closely watched by cameras everywhere, no room for growth. CEO too involved in everything, they do not allow employees to manage projects, they would like people to do menial tasks.

There are newer employer reviews for Caspio