Underpaid and Overworked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

Pros

Flexible schedules, great co-workers, learned the basics of banking, was exposed to many different types of personal and consumer accounts.

Cons

Management is given, not earned, their salary is very, very low, there is no room for growth now that they are a division of FNBO.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees based on how hard they work. I worked my butt off but made the exact same as the guy who did or knew nothing. Hire management that will stand their ground.

Other Employee Reviews for Castle Bank

1. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Special Assets Assistant in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Special Assets Assistant in DeKalb, IL

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Advancement opportunities available.

Cons

Frequent change in management. Home office located in Nebraska.

2. A great job for the right person

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Castle Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

Castle Bank as a company really cares about their employees. They have great benefits and a good salary for an entry level position. I was sent letters when I started congratulating me on my position and was even sent tubs of specialty made ice cream for joining their team. Branch manager is awesome, and for the most part everyone really does care about their job which definitely helps. You will learn A LOT about retail, and there are a lot of opportunities to move up. As a whole this company is awesome. It seems like you will get different experiences though depending on what branch you work at.

Cons

Really high expectations and training could be better. From what I heard everyone has different training experiences though. I spent 5 days training at the admin center listening to power points and doing some mock transactions which was actually really helpful to then get to the branch and be put on a drawer on my own after 5 days with no supervision. I was expected to get referrals and sign people up for credit cards, yet was never trained how to do so. I was given a sheet with the credit cards they offer and their benefits and another with some general checking account information and that was all I had to go off of. It's embarrassing trying to sell something you know practically nothing about. We only had 2-3 people on everyday to work both the lobby and drive thru which isn't enough people for the volume. Especially if one person gets caught up with a customer with a question/ problem it leaves one person to run around working drive thru and lobby by them self which happened often. There is also a lot to learn about regulations, endorsements, and even just customer preferences. With the amount of knowledge you need, you are bound to have questions, but it wasn't a good environment for asking questions. My manager would get easily upset and would lash out on others when she was stressed. I ended up keeping most questions to myself or asking less experienced tellers for advice just to avoid asking my manager.

Advice to Management

Sadly, I think the assistant manager is in the wrong position. She makes the work environment unpleasant, and hard to grow and learn in. I would also recommend better training in the branch. If you have such high expectations you need to give your employees the tools to succeed. There is no way someone is going to be able to learn what they need too when no one has time to teach you or if you get your manager rolling her eyes at you or yelling at you in front of a customer when you have a question.