Casual Male Retail Group

www.casualmalexl.com

Great Job but no future

Store Manager (Former Employee) Florence, KY

ProsIf you are hired for this store there are great managers in the district. Several that have been with the company 9-18 years. They will be a great resource for you. The customers are great. Many do not have anyother alternatives in where they shop. Your staff will be small, so you will tend to develop a great working relationship with them. There are opportunities to make money with the base plus commission pay scale that is in place...but this is a double edged sword. In the last 6 weeks of the calander year you will make very good money. Your paychecks will be 3 times the normal. But the tough months of Jan-Feb and July-Sept are very difficult to make decent money.

The hours of operation ROCK for associates. The employee discount is nice on top of clearance. (if you have a need for big and tall merchandise)

CONS start right here:

When I joined on with the company I was very impressed in two ways: one the company is debt free and two the new branding strategy the company has for "growth" in Destination XL (DXL). I wont take time to go over the rebranding of DXL, but to say the company has 5 seperate intities and DXL puts all of these under one roof....it also expands on the higher end clothing, tailored clothing and a focus on the "end of the rack" or the smallest sizes the company sell rather than a focus on big and tall. This "growth" is to say that the company has 450 locations and by 2016 they will decrease to 250 DXL, transforming 250 Casual Male Stores into DXL and closing 200 of them. They began this process heavily in 2011-2012.

ConsThe company has put together a Simplified Selling Process. 4 parts: greeting, interview, wardrobing and closing. Greeting and Closing are retail 101. Wardrobing is a skill learned with time and product knowledge. The Interview is what everyone strulles with. You are to follow your guest everywhere around the store, asking lifestyle questions to get to know them and what style they are. Then using that information to put together looks and wardrobe options. The problem is the customers do not relate to this....majority of guests want a friendly and accable associates. They dont what people prying into thier personal life and selling to them. The customers do not want it....but you have to do it that way. The company invests alot of money in secrect shops and you will have them often to make sure you are selling with the simplified selling method

The biggest reason I am leaving is there is no future with Casual Male / Destination XL. All Casual Male managers are demoted to Assistant Store Managers if your location becomes a DXL. Your pay stays the same, but you will no longer be in charge of the store. You have to pass assessments, specificly a personality assessment which has two colomns of words and you choose which words best describe you. If your personality does not fit the mold of what they want, you will not be offered a position in DXL. This happed to a Manager that has been with the company for 17 years. This manager consistantly produced results, had developed a great team and was a leader in the district/company. None of that mattered because he failed the personality assessment of the hiring process for DXL (everyone has to interveiw for a position from casual male to DXL...no one is guaranteed to stay with the company) and a manager of 17 years was declined to be apart of DXL and instead took over managing a near by store that will close at the end of its lease in a couple years.

If you join Casual Male in the Florence, KY location, just know that the store will not become a DXL. They are transforming the 1m plus stores and Florence produces 560k a year. This store will close at the end of its lease in 2015 or sooner.

The other downside is it is a base plus commission. Your base will be up to 29,000 plus 3% commision on all your sales. You can expect about 35-38k depending on your personal sales and whether you have staffing issues during the year or not.

Due to commision pay and payroll there is a high turnover in staffing. Last year I spent a combined 3 months of the year working 7 days a week as the only one on staff. The payroll is 72hours a week. 40 hours for you and 32hours to give to someone else. So you can either have 1 person at 32hrs a week or two people at 16 hours a week. Either way.....you will turn staff. Its hard to keep people when you can only give them 16 hours and the flip side if you do hire 1 staff member at 32 hours a week that leaves you vulnerable for them leaving without you having a replacement.

There are no training hours or training pay. So you have to cut the hours of one of your associates to be able to bring a new staff member on to train them. This is the case for regular new hires and for seasonal. No training pay means one of two things. You get screwed or the new hire gets screwed. Either you have to give up some of your commision off the items you sold during the training time so your new hire doesnt just make $7.50 hr. or you make your new hire make only $7.50hr during thier first 10 days. I always screwed myself...which typically equated during the 10 day training period for one associate about $300 gross in commissions. That $300 was mine....I earned it because it was me that sold this items, not the new hire. But I would try to be fair to my associate and do that for them. Unfortiant that the company doesnt feel the same way about being fair to the manager.

Also. with commission. If an item is returned to your store that was purchased at another store...your commision is negatively effected by it. Each associate will take a negative commision on the return depending on how many hours they worked in the week in which the return was done. That sucks...especially Florence as there is a DXL store in cincy. It is not uncommon for high end items to be returned to florence and completely eat up all of your commissions that you made that day. and the person that originally sold it keeps the commision they made on the sale, since you took the return you have to eat the negative commisions. and there is nothing you can do about it.

Lastly: if you are considering DXL as a future for you. Know that DXL's in thier first year always turn thier Managment team at least once. Most Store Managers and Assistant Managers do not last the first 6 months in DXL before either leaving or being terminated. There are over 50 DXL stores to date and not one has its original Store Manger or Assistant Manager currently working. That should speak volumes to you as a potential associate.

Great job....its not a career....a great place to work for the next 1-2 years to get you through....not a place to lay down roots.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou decreased payroll 10% in 2013 vs 2012....it was almost impossible to keep store standards and develope and train a staff on 80 hours a week, now its 72 hours. How am I suppost to train and develope my staff when we are single coverage mon-thur and I only work with them on Friday and Saturday for 3-4 hours each day. How is a manager suppost to do that? The assessments are more imporant then proven result driven associates? What are you thinking? Its hard enough to get your associates to "buy in" on the Simplified Selling Process...but when they do and they produces the results you treat them very badly when the assessment means more to you then what they have already proven in results. This is why you turn your managment team so fast.

What else can I say

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros: Great place to work. Lunch was awesome. Learned a lot about… Cons: Lunch breaks should have been longer. Fitting rooms and registers… More

The most anti aging company I ever worked for, too much work for small staff, no work life balance

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Hours are pretty good, ability to Commission.. Cons: Once the company changed into copying another mens wear store company became A raid on older workers, in exchange for younger workers They used productivity standards that… Advice to Senior Management: The unhappy environment created is bound to Effect workers, which is going to effect the Consumer. These older employees work incredibly Hard for no recognition, no… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Casual Male Retail Group.

Worked for Casual Male Retail Group? Contribute to the Community!