Casual Male Retail Group

There are newer employer reviews for Casual Male Retail Group

great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the customers are great the assortment is awesome love the change to dxl great store hours

Cons

long hours for staff need better payroll hours good work life balance would be nice

76 Other Employee Reviews for Casual Male Retail Group (View Most Recent)

The Hours are Great!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Business Hours of Operation, Customer Interactions

Cons

Horrible pay, micro-managed, outdated business model

Pay your associates a decent, liveable wage, and many of the issues you have tried to manage with "Non-negotiables and Service Behaviors" will go away. These elementary steps that someone has come up with to guide the selling structure in your stores would be inherent if you employed professionals. The only way you're going to get professionals to work (and STAY) with your company is to make the salaries attractive enough to get those types of people applying. Individuals who have had sales, management or customer service experience will automatically execute these behaviors without having to have a list of 15 to memorize.

Entirely too much energy and weight is being focused on and put on the UPT (Units Per Transaction) metric. This is the ONLY metric which is allowing individuals to be promoted. What needs to be focused on is simple: are the stores making more than they did the previous year. If they are, then great. Keep up the good work and maybe try a couple things differently to see if a couple metrics could be improved. The way your DMs are micro-managing (at least the one in my market is) the stores is absurd. Conference calls for stores who aren't getting enough St. Jude donations?? Seriously? Telling the stores who should open and close the stores on which days over the holiday season? Again, if you pay a decent wage, you will get PROFESSIONALS in your store that will do what's best for that store anyway.

I am a management, sales and customer service professional who has been involved in those areas for a couple of decades. I have never seen a district run like this one is being run. It's like I'm back in High School - gossip being driven from the DM, who asks, "What do you think of so-and-so?" and then runs to So-and So and tells them what what said about them and by whom. Really?? Come on.

It seems the wrong people are getting promoted and what is being missed out on is the fact that there are good, professional associates who would be an incredible asset to the company, being forced to look elsewhere for employment to secure a liveable wage. To not promote some of these people, or bring them over to the new DXL stores because they can't sell three items to each customer who walks in the front door? Can't see the forest for the trees if you ask me.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun meeting various customers and building relationships.

Cons

Not enough help to get the work done

Walk a week in our shoes

There are newer employer reviews for Casual Male Retail Group