Casual Male Retail Group

The Hours are Great!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Business Hours of Operation, Customer Interactions

Cons

Horrible pay, micro-managed, outdated business model

Pay your associates a decent, liveable wage, and many of the issues you have tried to manage with "Non-negotiables and Service Behaviors" will go away. These elementary steps that someone has come up with to guide the selling structure in your stores would be inherent if you employed professionals. The only way you're going to get professionals to work (and STAY) with your company is to make the salaries attractive enough to get those types of people applying. Individuals who have had sales, management or customer service experience will automatically execute these behaviors without having to have a list of 15 to memorize.

Entirely too much energy and weight is being focused on and put on the UPT (Units Per Transaction) metric. This is the ONLY metric which is allowing individuals to be promoted. What needs to be focused on is simple: are the stores making more than they did the previous year. If they are, then great. Keep up the good work and maybe try a couple things differently to see if a couple metrics could be improved. The way your DMs are micro-managing (at least the one in my market is) the stores is absurd. Conference calls for stores who aren't getting enough St. Jude donations?? Seriously? Telling the stores who should open and close the stores on which days over the holiday season? Again, if you pay a decent wage, you will get PROFESSIONALS in your store that will do what's best for that store anyway.

I am a management, sales and customer service professional who has been involved in those areas for a couple of decades. I have never seen a district run like this one is being run. It's like I'm back in High School - gossip being driven from the DM, who asks, "What do you think of so-and-so?" and then runs to So-and So and tells them what what said about them and by whom. Really?? Come on.

It seems the wrong people are getting promoted and what is being missed out on is the fact that there are good, professional associates who would be an incredible asset to the company, being forced to look elsewhere for employment to secure a liveable wage. To not promote some of these people, or bring them over to the new DXL stores because they can't sell three items to each customer who walks in the front door? Can't see the forest for the trees if you ask me.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Casual Male Retail Group (View Most Recent)

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun meeting various customers and building relationships.

Cons

Not enough help to get the work done

Walk a week in our shoes

You don't want to work here

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Decent hours, customers are nice

Cons

Run by cliques, immature management, abusive upper management

This company is run by cliques. If you aren't buddies with the DM, you will never advance. If you're good at your job, you'll become the target of their ridicule. This place sucked every ouce of joy out of my life. If I ever brought an issue to my DMs attention, it was immediately turned on me. She was very insincere and condescending, to the point of publicly admonishing me for something I had not done. When the truth came out, she refused to apologize.

I am glad I no longer work for this company. They're rotten to the core. They don't care about their employees, and they let petty, childish DMs do whatever they want. I would rather work at an ice factory in hell before I'd work for this company.

There are newer employer reviews for Casual Male Retail Group

Worked for Casual Male Retail Group? Contribute to the Community!