Casual Male Retail Group
www.casualmalexl.com Canton, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

The Hours are Great!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for less than a year

ProsBusiness Hours of Operation, Customer Interactions

ConsHorrible pay, micro-managed, outdated business model

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your associates a decent, liveable wage, and many of the issues you have tried to manage with "Non-negotiables and Service Behaviors" will go away. These elementary steps that someone has come up with to guide the selling structure in your stores would be inherent if you employed professionals. The only way you're going to get professionals to work (and STAY) with your company is to make the salaries attractive enough to get those types of people applying. Individuals who have had sales, management or customer service experience will automatically execute these behaviors without having to have a list of 15 to memorize.

Entirely too much energy and weight is being focused on and put on the UPT (Units Per Transaction) metric. This is the ONLY metric which is allowing individuals to be promoted. What needs to be focused on is simple: are the stores making more than they did the previous year. If they are, then great. Keep up the good work and maybe try a couple things differently to see if a couple metrics could be improved. The way your DMs are micro-managing (at least the one in my market is) the stores is absurd. Conference calls for stores who aren't getting enough St. Jude donations?? Seriously? Telling the stores who should open and close the stores on which days over the holiday season? Again, if you pay a decent wage, you will get PROFESSIONALS in your store that will do what's best for that store anyway.

I am a management, sales and customer service professional who has been involved in those areas for a couple of decades. I have never seen a district run like this one is being run. It's like I'm back in High School - gossip being driven from the DM, who asks, "What do you think of so-and-so?" and then runs to So-and So and tells them what what said about them and by whom. Really?? Come on.

It seems the wrong people are getting promoted and what is being missed out on is the fact that there are good, professional associates who would be an incredible asset to the company, being forced to look elsewhere for employment to secure a liveable wage. To not promote some of these people, or bring them over to the new DXL stores because they can't sell three items to each customer who walks in the front door? Can't see the forest for the trees if you ask me.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time for more than a year

Pros: Fun meeting various customers and building relationships. Cons: Not enough help to get the work done Advice to Senior Management: Walk a week in our shoes Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Silo'd

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group

Pros: Some nice people worked there, my compensation was good (don't… Cons: The company was very silo'd and when I was there, there were many unhappy… Advice to Senior Management: Bring relevant departments together No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Casual Male Retail Group.

Worked for Casual Male Retail Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Casual Male Retail Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Casual Male Retail Group CEO David A. Levin. All reviews posted anonymously by Casual Male Retail Group employees.