There are newer employer reviews for Catapult Learning

The staff members that I have worked with are all caring, friendly, professional, and overworked.

Current Employee - Title I Teacher
Current Employee - Title I Teacher

I have been working at Catapult Learning part-time

Pros

The scripted lessons are from an excellent standards based program. Teaching small groups is intimate and is always wonderful (if you really want to teach). The company has access to $$$ so they can get supplies to you, if you can afford to purchase them yourself and get reimbursed that is faster.

Cons

This is based on federal $$$ so there are tons of paperwork. You are "officially working" whatever hours you are actually in front of students, however there is prep for every lesson, monthly reports, assessments to gather, and other paperwork that you are not paid for. It is all included in the salary which assumes that you know there is always paperwork,
If you are not organized, you will not make it. Your immediate experience is a function of how efficient, honest, and friendly your supervisor is. Mine is great.

Advice to Management

Be clear when giving directives. Please explain when there is a "hard deadline" and a soft deadline. In the field of education there are few actual deadlines and the idea of a drop-dead-hard-deadline is foreign to most experienced unionized teachers. Also be honest. If you dont know, then tell us that you will find out. Also, after starting us on some new directive, do spot checks to see if we are on point.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrendous place to work

I have been working at Catapult Learning full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working with kids

Cons

Catapult management has no understanding, concern or respect for employees and treats all field employees as though they are lazy teenagers who have to be watched every minute to keep them from goofing off or stealing the paperclips. Required office supplies were kept (literally) in a locked cabinet and although there was a requisition procedure, all requisitions were denied. They do not pay for any supplies employees buy on their own and do not reimburse travel expenses. The pay is about half of what the local public schools pay. Benefits are poor and employees pay dearly for them. Employees who use sick pay, even if they have earned it, are threatened with reprimand or termination. Employees with disabilities are not accommodated and those who are injured on the job are fired. The company is currently trying to get all field employees listed as working less than 30 hours a week so that they can cut health insurance all together. Employees are required to keep track of and report on line everything they do every minute of every day. Sometimes it takes longer to report something you did than it did to do it. Logging a 3 minute phone call can take 5 to 10 minutes. Employees at your local Walmart or McDonald's get more respect from their managers. My advice to prospective applicants is to take a job with Catapult only if you have to and keep looking for something better.

Advice to Management

Stop treating professional employees with college degrees and years of experience like unruly teenagers who can't be trusted not to steal paperclips.

Very little respect and general feeling of unappreciation for math tutors

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Learning part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility with scheduling, I got to learn how to use a calculator for graphing purposes

Cons

Math tutors were only part time, but because of the school schedule(lunch, not teaching during certain periods of the day), the majority of the work day was taken up, making it hard to have another job. We were severely underappreciated at the job we were performing, the teachers didn't interact with us hardly at all, we really had to seek them out if we needed anything. We had to spend too much time on class management (making sure students were behaving) with no training on that.

Advice to Management

Make the math tutor position a full-time job with benefits. This being a primary job for most tutors, benefits are needed. Have better alignment with the school, unless this was the one I worked at only.