For Engineer Intern/New Grad

Former Employee - Corporate Engineering Intern  in  Peoria, IL
Former Employee - Corporate Engineering Intern in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Being a former Corporate Engineering Intern, the biggest pro for me was the CAT name itself. It looks good on a resume becasue everyone has heard of CAT. The people in the company seemed very friendly and were willing to mentor me whenever I needed. My Internship was a great experience to see how a large company operates, and what working as a full time engineer will be like. Cat is very open to hiring Engineering interns coming out of their sophmore year in school while a lot of companies do not. I learned a lot of information that can't be taught in school, but was not given a lot of responsibility. Overall it is an easy/stress free internship because most of the time you are just sitting and searching the web on your laptop. I would say it is a good experience, but I would use the internship to open doors to other companies......... I will not be returning to CAT

Cons

The main con is the location. Peoria is awful and is not a place where I would like to live in the future. There are facilities in other locations, but if your and engineer for CAT, you are most likely going to end up in Peoria. No responsbilites were given to me, which is ok because I still go one more summer for an internship ( going into jr year), but I would be upset if this was going to be my only internship. FYI. I will not be returning to CAT

Have more confidence in Interns, have then at least tag along more in meetings/conference calls to gain full experience. overall, find a way to get the interns more involved.

Other Reviews for Caterpillar

A great place with great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Caterpillar is a global company that has endless opportunities in most business diciplines. The future outlook of Caterpillar is very strong.

Cons

I feel the company puts too much emphasis on hiring females and/or minorities. What ever happened to hiring the best candidate for the job regardless of race or gender?

Do not be quick to cut benefits just to be within the norm of corporate America.

More good than bad

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Challenging work
    Many good learning experiences
    Culture drives having the best product in the industry
    Great focus on fixing issues

Cons

Bureaucracy and inefficient processes often get in the way
    Management tends to over commit on projects which causes higher stress levels
    Poor diversity at the facility (i.e. very few people from outside the US, most come from a handful of universities in Illinois and Indiana, and the facility is not racially diverse).

Eliminate the processes that aren't adding value

There are newer employer reviews for Caterpillar.

Worked for Caterpillar? Contribute to the Community!