Best job I ever had

Former Employee - Engineer in Peoria, IL
Former Employee - Engineer in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

generous salaries and benefits................for now.

Cons

Politics. Women move up the ladder

Advice to Management

Be fairer!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Long hours, little pay.

Current Employee - Materials Specialist in East Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Materials Specialist in East Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work is steady at the moment. Once you are in, you get great benefits.

Cons

Getting promoted internally is a who-you-know deal; it does not depend on your skills, work eithic, or college degree. A lot of people are contracted into the offices, so people on the manufacturing floor have little chance of getting an office job. With the union agreement that is in place, you can never make close to as much as someone in the same position as you that was here before the agreement. You can be supplemental for up to two years, in which you get no benefits and can be seperated at any time, for no reason.

Advice to Management

Take a look at all the people that know your products best because they actually make them. A lot of these people have degrees and you are under-utilizing their abilities to stroke your ego.

2. For Engineer Intern/New Grad

Former Intern - Corporate Engineering Intern in Peoria, IL
    Former Intern - Corporate Engineering Intern in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Being a former Corporate Engineering Intern, the biggest pro for me was the CAT name itself. It looks good on a resume becasue everyone has heard of CAT. The people in the company seemed very friendly and were willing to mentor me whenever I needed. My Internship was a great experience to see how a large company operates, and what working as a full time engineer will be like. Cat is very open to hiring Engineering interns coming out of their sophmore year in school while a lot of companies do not. I learned a lot of information that can't be taught in school, but was not given a lot of responsibility. Overall it is an easy/stress free internship because most of the time you are just sitting and searching the web on your laptop. I would say it is a good experience, but I would use the internship to open doors to other companies......... I will not be returning to CAT

Cons

The main con is the location. Peoria is awful and is not a place where I would like to live in the future. There are facilities in other locations, but if your and engineer for CAT, you are most likely going to end up in Peoria. No responsbilites were given to me, which is ok because I still go one more summer for an internship ( going into jr year), but I would be upset if this was going to be my only internship. FYI. I will not be returning to CAT

Advice to Management

Have more confidence in Interns, have then at least tag along more in meetings/conference calls to gain full experience. overall, find a way to get the interns more involved.