There are newer employer reviews for Caterpillar

IT at Caterpillar is improving, very slowly

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Peoria, IL
Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and job stability seems good. Most of the people here are very good to work with and most of us treat each other with maturity and respect. Endless opportunities in several areas of the company are available for those seeking them.

Cons

Lots of red tape, IT struggles to get outs of its own way. Often Cat is penny wise and dollar foolish. Difficult to find and keep good help (IT expertise from agencies). We often hear mixed, confused or impossible messages from middle management. Growth path for technically minded IT people seems limited. Claims of 'work life balance' are defined in wildly different ways depending on what area you work in.

Advice to Management

I wish we could eliminate some overhead by flattening the organization more and trusting our people enough to show genuine support for more grassroots efforts.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Assembly is repetitious

Current Employee - Assembler in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Assembler in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple job , expected to work, limited responsibility, easy work life balance. Very safety conscious. Quality is stressed daily.

Cons

Limited time off, average pay. Assembly work is boring.

Good place to start but don't plan on staying here too long

Current Employee - Engineer in Griffin, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Griffin, GA

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good brand name. Known to be the best in the heavy equipment industry, although heavy equipment industry has not had any breakthroughs for decades.

Cons

promotions are not merit based. Accountability is just a word, not something that is followed. Even if the manager made a bad decision they are not held responsible but rather promoted! Very discouraging to see that at the workplace. Many of the managers are not willing to listen to the flaws of the company that cause the current problems but continue to ignore the problems. Depending on which part of Caterpillar you are working in, you will get more opportunities than others. The Culture fosters all of the wrong behavior and leads to more problems.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are promoting the right kind of people and keep them accountable for the decisions that they make.