There are newer employer reviews for Caterpillar

Material handler, I loved it there!

Former Employee - Material Handler in Maple Grove, MN
Former Employee - Material Handler in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn the job, get good, work under little supervision driving forklifts, placing material in the racks.

Cons

pretty solid company but up and down in sales do mostly to current construction slowdowns from poor economy , causing layoffs at times and then lots of overtime with temps coming in and out and then more lay offs. No other complaint really. Hope economy gets better so Cat. is more stable. When I started, I had lots of OT worked 50 hours a week, then 7 months later, I was laid off due to lack of work.

Advice to Management

Watch the second shift more closely, I highly believe that there were lots of covered up fork lifting incidents. Just a suggestion.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. My experience in CAT as an international intern in marketing operations

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Peoria, IL
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company, with a great reputation and strong financial structure. Values its employees and their development as professionals. Chance of cross-departmental and regional transfer is high and this gives an unique opportunity to the employees to develop themselves. Also, a very global identity.

Cons

The locations (especially in the US) might not be the first choice for many as they are not in the major cities. Also from marketing/sales point; as the only direct customers for CAT is the dealers; the chance of actual marketing/sales operations are little limited.

Advice to Management

I am aware it is a huge company but especially higher level executives can spend more time on letting the employees know better. Also, CAT had issues with unions earlier so they might need to take re-active precautions just in case

2. Assembly is repetitious

Current Employee - Assembler in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Assembler in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Simple job , expected to work, limited responsibility, easy work life balance. Very safety conscious. Quality is stressed daily.

Cons

Limited time off, average pay. Assembly work is boring.