Caterpillar

There are newer employer reviews for Caterpillar

First Intern Experience

Former Employee - Research and Development Engineer in Peoria, IL
Former Employee - Research and Development Engineer in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Rewarding and important work responsibilities
Introduced to company culture
Plant visits, etc
Actual Mechanical Engineering Work
They treated interns well
Great and diverse coworkers who guided me along at a fast and fun pace

Cons

Hard time finding a place to live
Pay could have been a bit better.
Other than that, my intern experience with CAT was great, and I highly consider them for full time

893 Other Employee Reviews for Caterpillar (View Most Recent)

Avoid like the plague

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be many. But they have all been taken away. Except jeans. You can wear jeans. At some facilities. With manager approval.

Decent pay; when they employ you.

Cons

Rolling layoffs for the past 4 years (count on AT LEAST 1 week of unpaid vacation). You won't ever know when it's coming though, until two weeks ahead of time.

Management will pretend to be your friend, but will fight tooth and nail to prevent promoting you.

The new rating system means that everyone is "acceptable". In HR presentations on the ratings, the "Above Average" and Highest rating were declared to be next to impossible to get. So, good luck on any meaningful raises. But, hey, we copied a competitor's review process. Go us! (Let it be known that the competitor threw out this review process since they determined it wasn't working as intended).

Culture: Unless you hit one of the few lucky plants that CAT has, expect the culture to be very much 'audit and punish' and not 'innovate'. Learn to turn the crank you little monkey, because if you don't turn it fast enough, you will be reprimanded.

At this point, with the years of layoffs, years of benefits cut backs, years of no to minimal raises I have no advice for you. You don't listen to your Employee surveys. Anything that is 'negative' you brush aside as a 'disgruntled' employee and blame it on the person who moved teams or quit. You brag of world class standards and products, but don't allow your employees to DO anything.

CATERPILLAR DECATUR

Current Employee - Logistics in Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Logistics in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The business is world renown.
    Many internal Decatur employees lack degrees which gives opportunity for advancement.
    Management will consider hourly employees for management positions.

Cons

Leaders do not listen to their employees.
    Leaders will not let their employees leave current positions early for promotions or opportunities in other Caterpillar plants.
    When times are busy, there is no consideration to vacation days, hours per day, or medical issues.

Listen and consider that often letting people get promoted when offered a position will only help the overall company.

There are newer employer reviews for Caterpillar