There are newer employer reviews for Cathay General Bancorp

Good if you know how to speak chinese

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemead, CA

Pros

Get to know about the banking business Co-workers are generally nice Lunch breaks and work breaks managers are competent in what they do

Cons

If you don't have a lot of banking experience and do not speak either Cantonese or Mandarin do not expect to excel with this company.

Advice to Management

Make more opportunities for entry level workers at the bank. Also fix or upgrade the office equipment ex. printers and scanners

Other Employee Reviews for Cathay General Bancorp

Stay away.

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in El Monte, CA

Pros

Some people are very smart. Over all a good asian bank.

Cons

Low pay and no appreciation from management.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people. Seniority means nothing .

Chinese bank.......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

Pros

I do enjoy the annual bonus payout but it has decreased due to issues with that home mortgage loan mess and the downturn in the economy.

Cons

Maybe this is just me but the silence drives me nuts! In the department I work in, you can probably hear a mouse's fart. Yes, we are all suppose to be working and getting work done but where is the friendly chit-chat that keeps things interesting inside the office? Work drags even more in a dead-silent and boring environment. Also, being quite new in my position (just over a year), it's difficult for me to keep up. The manager tells me to feel free to ask for help but everyone always have their heads buried in their work. They don't take their mandatory breaks during the day and sometimes they eat their lunch at their desks and continue to work. It doesn't feel accommodating at all. I feel guilty every time I go to one of my peers for assistance. Oh, and I also don't like their training - "Take a look at last year's work, read the procedural manual and just read up on possible updates on the internet. If you need help, feel free to ask someone." BLEH!

Advice to Management

Put some life into the department please! I go some days saying less than 20 words, it's boring me to death! And definitely be more considerate of your new workers who have had zero experience in the kind of work you all do. Implementing a shadowing approach will do wonders for any new hires in the department.