Catherines

catherines.lanebryant.com
  catherines.lanebryant.com
There are newer employer reviews for Catherines

A great place for part-time work

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead in Everett, WA
Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead in Everett, WA

I have been working at Catherines part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours/schedules, friendly atmosphere, Great employee discount program, fair return policies

Cons

Pay is exactly what you would expect from a retail job, Hiring age is aimed at older applicants, no part-time benefits

27 Other Employee Reviews for Catherines (View Most Recent)

Makes me never want to work retail again.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Lead

I have been working at Catherines part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting to help woman of size find clothes that works for them.

Cons

-Constant pressure to open credit cards and perks memberships, then being told you suck at your job when you don't.
    -Was one of the top 40 stores in 2012. The managers went on a cruise. The assistant manager, sales leads, and associates got an extra 10% discount, a pin, and a promised special dinner we never actually had.
    -Getting belittled by your manager on a regular basis in front of customers
    -We were told that the business comes first and family second. You don't get paid enough to even consider that.

Stop pushing the credit card and perks membership so much. People are leaving stores because they feel badgered about it. You're making employees feel like used car salesmen.

Too much, too little, wrong way!

I worked at Catherines

Pros

In the brief time I worked for Catherine's I met an abundance of lovely women who were the sweetest customers you would ever hope for. I joined a beleaguered staff linked arms and tried to do the job to the best of our combined abilities. Some of these, years later are still friends! I learned what it meant to work hard really hard. I enjoyed a nice discount on clothes that still grace my closets years later. They stand the test of time. Entire store makeovers though exhausting gave a great sense of satisfaction every reset. These stores have some truly beautiful inspired lines for an often overlooked segment of the population.

Cons

Too few man hours to cover shipments, and peak customer times. This company has man hours regulated down to the single minute. Management must finagle ways to provide best coverages during peak times by working alone as often as possible and the '45' hour week hence becomes much much longer. (The only job I have ever seen where part timers would clock out for 'break' and be in the back prepping and staging merchandise for the sales floor!)
    Very little focus is made on sales compared to selling credit lines. This company's focus is bank (consumer credit-line sales) driven not retail driven and unrealistic in its goal setting for those credit lines.
    Hours are meted to non key holder part time in small chunks that don't help them to make ends meet. This comes from the top.
    Sadly this is a grim place to work. At the end of each day regardless of sales employees feel disturbed by not getting enough credit apps and perk sales in. It does not end up mattering if you spent hours helping a woman get a first date outfit that delights her , all that truly matters is that you only sold one credit line which was a bleak failure in the company's eyes.

Realign tasks with man hours required to meet those tasks. If there are no more labor hours to give, consider reducing the floor resets to fit the man hours that are scheduled. These employees, coworkers, were never slackers but were rarely able to meet expectations without completely ignoring customers.

Get back to retail sales and away from consumer debt selling. It has long been held that the trade off to working retail with its sometimes hectic pace, low pay, and always weekend shifts is that one gets to work doing something they love with the public that they love. Retail has that appeal. Selling consumer debt is thankless in every way for the employee.

Put some thought into 'her' as well as 'Her'. When 'she' leaves your employ, and while 'she' is working for you 'she' tells all 'Her' friends about 'her' experiences with you, and how it is to be your employee.

I was told once that Catherine's used to be an awesome company to work for. It was not because of money, but rather that the job was a wholesome honest good fun days work! Is it really that unattainable? Ie, if people are working hard for you and doing their very best should they be fearful of starting another workday?

There are newer employer reviews for Catherines