Catholic Health Initiatives

www.catholichealthinitiatives.org
There are newer employer reviews for Catholic Health Initiatives

Horrible. CHI is on a mission to self-destruct

Current Employee - Nursing in Lincoln, NE
Current Employee - Nursing in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a pension, good PTO

Cons

They bombard you with their 'core values' of reverence, integrity, compassion and excellence and they practice none of those things.
The pay is nothing, we're constantly getting emails telling us that if we don't do this or that it's another thing that will cause us to not get a raise.
They're eliminating positions (which they fail to realize are staffed by real people) and reducing hours because of 'the budget'. They're one of the most financially sound companies I've ever worked for but they will cut your throat to save twenty cents. Our CEO even stated at a meeting that we're making money, just not as much as we did before. Instead of being thankful and counting their blessings in rough economic times, they're throwing people out on the street or reducing the hours of the lowest paid employees (those who need them the most).
Morale is in the toilet.
I have never (not even in junior high) seen so much gossiping, back stabbing, conniving, lying and vitriol. The staff go after each other like a pack of starving wolves.
They put everyone through numerous 'patient safety' training courses but refuse to staff enough nurses. Although the training courses are good, they're useless - patient safety is compromised by overloading and overworking nurses and no amount of training courses will protect patients from a staff stretched too thin - it's only a matter of time before something catastrophic happens.
Management actively refuses to improve morale and become noticeably agitated when employees offer suggestions. Members of my department were recently told that if they're not happy, they can quit.
I never thought I would see this as a negative, but...they promote from within (to a fault). The people at the top have been there for 30 years and they do things today the way things were done 30 years ago. There are no new ideas, no one to bring experience and innovation with them from other organizations and running a hospital in 2013 with a 1980's mentality is a recipe for disaster.
It's a shame that CHI has forced its hospitals into money machines - this place used to be like a family and was filled with caring, compassionate people. Today, it's a shark tank.

*I said the business outlook in the next 6 months would be getting better only because they will do whatever it takes to make money - the culture and disregard for employee and patient safety will not improve (until a court orders CHI to change or they replace the CEO and other senior management)

When you hire consultants and they report to you that management is the problem, stop ignoring them and hiring new consultants. Each new consultant group tells you that management is the problem because management really is the problem.
Put people before profits. You have some great people who have years of knowledge and incredible skills and talent when it comes to patient care. You keep losing them because you drive them away - young professionals like myself find their guidance and teaching invaluable. Your biggest downfall is that you are forcing out your greatest resource. Yes, their salaries are higher, but they are an asset, not a liability.

173 Other Employee Reviews for Catholic Health Initiatives (View Most Recent)

Great mission of healthcare; poor example of living the mission

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Wonderful people, great mission/vision; under-paid

Cons

Leadership does not implement the vision; management does not live the core values; technology and process innovation is at least a decade behind the industry; salaries are similarly a decade behind industry and times.

Live the mission statement and core values

Disappointing after much hope- IT OneCare doomed to fail

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great folks working at regional and national level

Cons

Upper senior level do not know what they are doing and should be let Go. Is the Board of Directors not minding the store here? Is we made so many costly mistakes at MBO level we would be history. Also what is being asked of may OneCare folks in termed of work life balance is inhumane.

In regard to OneCare do not know how you can pull this off unless you continue to sell MBOs not ready and buy those about to go live. Otherwise too late.

There are newer employer reviews for Catholic Health Initiatives