Catholic Health Initiatives

www.catholichealthinitiatives.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Catholic Health Initiatives

Overall, a good company to work for but has increased IT outsourcing since I left.

Former Employee - Various in Little Rock, AR
Former Employee - Various in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission of serving patients is shared widely
People I worked with were focused on working together to achieve CHI goals

Cons

Recent move to IT outsourcing firm from India
Some recent acquisition targets are public institutions (a poor fit for a religious organization)

Advice to Management

Focus on the core mission and stick to like-minded acquisition targets.
Re-think using off-shore IT outsourcing.

reviews filtered by
  1. Highly Regimented

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, fairly applied policies, decent pay, good benefits, good professional development opportunities

Cons

Very bureaucratic, lots of red tape, very structured work environment, poor communications amongst departments, issues with senior managment managing poorly and not being corrected.

Advice to Management

Find employees who are a good cultural fit

Horrible. CHI is on a mission to self-destruct

Current Employee - Nursing in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Nursing in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a pension, good PTO

Cons

They bombard you with their 'core values' of reverence, integrity, compassion and excellence and they practice none of those things.
    The pay is nothing, we're constantly getting emails telling us that if we don't do this or that it's another thing that will cause us to not get a raise.
    They're eliminating positions (which they fail to realize are staffed by real people) and reducing hours because of 'the budget'. They're one of the most financially sound companies I've ever worked for but they will cut your throat to save twenty cents. Our CEO even stated at a meeting that we're making money, just not as much as we did before. Instead of being thankful and counting their blessings in rough economic times, they're throwing people out on the street or reducing the hours of the lowest paid employees (those who need them the most).
    Morale is in the toilet.
    I have never (not even in junior high) seen so much gossiping, back stabbing, conniving, lying and vitriol. The staff go after each other like a pack of starving wolves.
    They put everyone through numerous 'patient safety' training courses but refuse to staff enough nurses. Although the training courses are good, they're useless - patient safety is compromised by overloading and overworking nurses and no amount of training courses will protect patients from a staff stretched too thin - it's only a matter of time before something catastrophic happens.
    Management actively refuses to improve morale and become noticeably agitated when employees offer suggestions. Members of my department were recently told that if they're not happy, they can quit.
    I never thought I would see this as a negative, but...they promote from within (to a fault). The people at the top have been there for 30 years and they do things today the way things were done 30 years ago. There are no new ideas, no one to bring experience and innovation with them from other organizations and running a hospital in 2013 with a 1980's mentality is a recipe for disaster.
    It's a shame that CHI has forced its hospitals into money machines - this place used to be like a family and was filled with caring, compassionate people. Today, it's a shark tank.

*I said the business outlook in the next 6 months would be getting better only because they will do whatever it takes to make money - the culture and disregard for employee and patient safety will not improve (until a court orders CHI to change or they replace the CEO and other senior management)

Advice to Management

When you hire consultants and they report to you that management is the problem, stop ignoring them and hiring new consultants. Each new consultant group tells you that management is the problem because management really is the problem.
    Put people before profits. You have some great people who have years of knowledge and incredible skills and talent when it comes to patient care. You keep losing them because you drive them away - young professionals like myself find their guidance and teaching invaluable. Your biggest downfall is that you are forcing out your greatest resource. Yes, their salaries are higher, but they are an asset, not a liability.