Catholic Health Initiatives

www.catholichealthinitiatives.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Catholic Health Initiatives

Good when IT was all in house

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Little Rock, AR
Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay
Good Insurance
Good work environment

Cons

Understaffed
Did not always back employees enforcing rules
Always willing to bend or break rules for the right person instead of having a standard and sticking to it

Advice to Management

none

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good benefits even for part time!

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Louisville, KY

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even as a part time employee I was given loads of paid vacation and ample sick days. This is where management is very understanding. I was treated as an adult should be and given these when requested (given that I proved enough notice ahead of time which is the responsible thing to do anyways).

Cons

The department I worked in they where not very flexible with my hours. And being a full-time student as well they refused to work around my school schedule so I had to leave.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately my experience with management was pretty poor. I really hope all management isn't this way. I was a database manager and my boss thought he knew what he was doing. And kept screwing with the database I was supposed to be managing and then things would go missing. I talked to him about this several times as nicely as I could but he seemed to think he knew better even though he was not trained in anyway to do my job.

A company with lots of potential but too many egos and people in the wrong jobs!

Current Employee - Project Manager I in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager I in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The group of PM's I worked with were experienced and took great pride in their jobs and the experience they delivered to their customers. Office culture is OK, not a lot of flexibility as far as remote work, as people in positions (at VP level) don't agree with it, even though the department outgrew multiple work locations and there were hiring/pay increase freezes.

Cons

Peanut butter approach to raises except at high levels; meaning that everyone if they are decent will get the bare minimum, which is usually 3-5%. This doesn't promote people who are at the bottom to try harder and people at the top to consistently hold up their level of customer service. It says, no one is any different and regardless of how much you work, how much time and effort you put into your job, you will never be differentiated or paid anything more than than the average worker year over year, as far as raises are concerned. It is socialism.

Advice to Management

Clean house! Get people who can make decisions at their level. If you are VP, don't worry the average worker, but manage your Directors and ensure they are meeting the goals. Give Directors and Managers the ability to manage their folks according to their management style, not yours. Overhaul your incentive program and your annual raises - you have to give people something to work towards. People are not all equal and it should show up come incentive time. Look at the benefits and cost savings of telecommuting and allow folks to cube share 2-3 days a week. You will save a ton, promote wellness and work/life balance, which in turn gives you more productivity. Publish your pay scales for levels and quit under-paying people. If I move from job 1 to job 2, I should know the pay scale and what I need to do to continue to get promoted and more money. If I make $30K a year and that is the max in my old job and the new job starts at $50K a year, then I should make $50K a year, as an example. The gap in the pays scales are all over the board. And guess what, regardless of policies and lack of transparency internally, people talk and they know what each other are making, so you are just setting yourselves up for failure. Your employee turnover will continue to be huge until you correct these problems. Get rid of the QA program for Project Managers and just let them do their jobs. There is WAY TOO MUCH paperwork and process for projects. Go with the minimal set and let people run projects. Too much process is killing you!!! No one, except the EPMO, cares. You will never keep good PM's long because of this. Lastly, outsourcing the Help Desk - how is that working? I hear it is horrible. Bring it back in-house.