Catholic Social Services of Oakland County

www.cssoc.org

Foster Care sucks - but if you have to work in it, this is the place!

Former Employee - Foster Care Case Manager  in  Southfield, MI
Former Employee - Foster Care Case Manager in Southfield, MI

Pros

They treat their employees well and for the most part understand their employees needs. I had a wonderful supervisor that was very involved in my cases, checking in often and trusting me to make the right decisions in my cases. She believed in taking personal days when you started feeling stressed out, and would allow me to work from home if I didn't have appointments that day. There was great communication, and monthly staff meetings to address questions and concerns. The director and program manager were available and helpful when you had a difficult case that you weren't sure how to handle.

Cons

Working in foster care sucks, no matter where you go. If you like driving and getting lost, this is the job for you. If you like walking into apartment complexes in Detroit that are run down with drug addics outside staring you down, this is the job for you. If you like going to court and being yelled at by a judge because you don't believe someone that abuses their kids and is still emotionally unstable should have their children back, this is the job for you. If you like being called at 2:00 AM because a child came home drunk and the foster home needs him moved ASAP, this is the job for you. There is no work-home life balance, and it messes with your sense of right and wrong. Essentially, you have to ride a thin line of caring too much, and not caring enough for foster kids.

Management is doing what they need to do. The government is so bureacratic that they are pretty powerless when it comes to job satisfaction. They are only funded to do so much. Support groups for workers and more work from home options would be helpful.

Other reviews for Catholic Social Services of Oakland County

Agency passionate about the community, but not considerate of employees

Pros

Many training opportunities, regular staff updates/meetings

Cons

Agency pays so low that employees are almost as poor as the clients, but employees are asked to give so much of themselves, including their own money to help clients, if necessary. Agency doesn't care about the excessive hours that many positions require. Company states they care about a work/life balance, but they do not. Pay doesn't even come CLOSE to the demands and costs of working there.

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Consider the community's needs, but look out for employees, too. Don't ask so much of people--believe it or not, most of us never wanted to be martyrs (as I was once told was expected of me).

There are newer employer reviews for Catholic Social Services of Oakland County.

Worked for Catholic Social Services of Oakland County? Contribute to the Community!