Catholic Social Services of Oakland County

www.cssoc.org

Foster Care sucks - but if you have to work in it, this is the place!

Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsThey treat their employees well and for the most part understand their employees needs. I had a wonderful supervisor that was very involved in my cases, checking in often and trusting me to make the right decisions in my cases. She believed in taking personal days when you started feeling stressed out, and would allow me to work from home if I didn't have appointments that day. There was great communication, and monthly staff meetings to address questions and concerns. The director and program manager were available and helpful when you had a difficult case that you weren't sure how to handle.

ConsWorking in foster care sucks, no matter where you go. If you like driving and getting lost, this is the job for you. If you like walking into apartment complexes in Detroit that are run down with drug addics outside staring you down, this is the job for you. If you like going to court and being yelled at by a judge because you don't believe someone that abuses their kids and is still emotionally unstable should have their children back, this is the job for you. If you like being called at 2:00 AM because a child came home drunk and the foster home needs him moved ASAP, this is the job for you. There is no work-home life balance, and it messes with your sense of right and wrong. Essentially, you have to ride a thin line of caring too much, and not caring enough for foster kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing what they need to do. The government is so bureacratic that they are pretty powerless when it comes to job satisfaction. They are only funded to do so much. Support groups for workers and more work from home options would be helpful.

Agency passionate about the community, but not considerate of employees

I have been working at Catholic Social Services of Oakland County

Pros: Many training opportunities, regular staff updates/meetings Cons: Agency pays so low that employees are almost as poor as the clients, but employees are asked to give so much of themselves, including their… Advice to Senior Management: Say what you mean and mean what you say. Consider the community's needs, but look out for employees, too. Don't ask… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Catholic Social Services of Oakland County.

Worked for Catholic Social Services of Oakland County? Contribute to the Community!