Cavium Networks
www.cavium.com Mountain View, CA 500 to 999 Employees

Good products, decent engineering, below-average benefits

San Jose, CA

ProsThe company has managed to get products out the door that reasonably meet the market needs and win designs. Starting from the early security processors all the way through the current multicore processor, the technology has been world-leading.
I've been here 9 years, and the work hasn't grown stale - there's always some new angle, wrinkle to it, new technology to learn.
The executives demonstrated unusual leadership by taking a major pay cut when we had serious financial trouble. Even now, the salaries are reasonable (though the total compensation package is starting to look out of line).

ConsThe process of getting products defined is very chaotic - it causes a lot of confusion with our early customers, our field, and our engineering team as features come and go.
The benefits are fairly poor, by valley standards. Pay levels are OK, but the vacation policy (starts at 2w, rises to 3w - and that's it) is poor. There's a broad array of medical options, but the company kick-in covers only the very bottom. There's a very minimal 401k company contribution.
Middle management has been promoted from within, often without any formal training, so you have engineers becoming average-to-worse managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove benefits, and especially vacation policies. Make your employees feel valued, not like they are replaceable cogs.

Good semiconductor company

I have been working at Cavium Networks

Pros: Good environment, lot of opportunities for learning. Cons: More focus required on software to support the hardware solutions Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Excellent

Software Test Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cavium Networks as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Excellent company and I would recommend it to my friends. Cons: None as it is already great. Advice to Senior Management: Excellent Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Cavium Networks.

Worked for Cavium Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cavium Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cavium Networks CEO Syed B. Ali. All reviews posted anonymously by Cavium Networks employees.