There are newer employer reviews for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

Application Specialist EIS

Current Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

My first job after my BA. This is a great place to start your career. People in my team are friendly and have lot of patience. This was great since they trained me for several months.

Cons

i have only worked here for 9 months, so I can't speak for myself. Though, the general idea i got from the people in the office is a bit of frustration. Frustration for working in the same role for years. Probably it's hard to move vertically in the company. However, as I said, this is a great place to obtain experience.

No complaints about my manager.

104 Other Employee Reviews for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (View Most Recent)

Could have been more pleasent!

Current Employee - Project Scientist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Scientist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are very good. The hospital management try to improve themselves constantly.

Cons

Snub MDs think they are the centers of the world!

Hospital management should be separeted from the research institutions'

Friendly place to work, but don't expect any career development in EIS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

Pros

Cedars-Sinai as a whole treats employees with respect.
    Most of the employees are very friendly.
    There are no problems with getting resources (computers, educational materials) like there are at other places.
    Great retirement plan after 5 years.
    Lots of time off, good maternity/paternity leave policy.
    Stable job - no layoffs.
    Good flexibility on work hours.
    Good pay for healthcare IT.

Cons

The management in EIS is particularly poisonous. Most directors/managers are relatively competent, but don't know the first thing about leadership or rewarding the best employees. The employee/management divide is generally obvious and can sometimes reflect an "us" vs. "them" attitude. The department does a poor job of promoting from within and the few times it has, it's made poor choices.

There are some questionable behind-the-scenes deals between management and a few favorites - and those deals aren't necessarily rewarding the most valuable employees. In addition, favoritism based on gender is not uncommon and is noticed by employees.

The Medical Center as a whole is very political and it shows. Often times, it's the department head with the biggest ego and not the one who has the biggest impact that gets dollars and time to implement and improve IT systems. Those politics bleed into EIS and cause project prioritization to be chaotic. The culture is very conservative as well, which conflicts with the desire to have cutting-edge systems and technologies available.

To keep the IT systems running, the department doesn't necessarily need to hire and retain the best workers, but it's missing out on opportunities to bring the clinical, research, and business systems to the next level by not concentrating on career development. To keep your best people, promote them early and often. Hire the best people you can and don't just hire PhDs because they have the most education. They make great senior technical leads but poor managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

Worked for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!