There are newer employer reviews for Cellular Sales

Flexible and profitable Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being happy is the key to making sales and at Cellular Sales you have the ability to pick your own schedule and work location. We also enjoy the highest commissions of any Verizon retailer.

Cons

Some employees struggle with a commission only position, but most make an easy adjustment when they see the size of the commission.

reviews filtered by

They asked their employees to give 5 star reviews

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cellular Sales full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to make your own schedule (not so much anymore)

Cons

Recruiting currently sent out an email asking their leaders and mentors to give 5 star reviews because current jobseekers won't come in for interviews after seeing glassdoor reviews Management is awful, reacts are absurd (you lose 5-6 times more money than you made on the phone you sold. Yes you can make $10.00 on a phone but have $60.00 taken from your paycheck.. It happens every month), commissions have been drastically lowered since my time being here. If someone walks into the store and steals an item, YOU get charged the full retail cost out of your paycheck. Your "bosses" that do the same job you do get an extra $2,000/month added to their check to keep you in line. You literally have no voice and are reprimanded if you speak out.

Advice to Management

You should treat your regular employees better. It's really no surprise that corporate, Best Buy, etc. are demolishing you.

The Honeymoon was Over Quick!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Cellular Sales full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. Somewhat flexible hours
    2. Co-workers were fun to be around
    3. Made lifelong friends

Cons

Where to begin. I have a lot to say and little time to write it. I will begin with pay. It sucks. Don't believe the crap you read on hear from people who claim to make a lot of money. They must be paid informants from Cellular Sales.
    1. When you begin to work here, the first 3 motnhs you will only be paid $10 an hour for your time. With no commission. So if you are in day 89 of 90 and you sale $1000 worth of phones that day, you will not make a penny off of it.
    2. When your training ends, you will not be paid for another 2 months. Let me give you an example. If your training ends on May 31, 2014 and you first day of earning commissions is on June 1, 2014, you will not receive your first paycheck until September August 15, 2014. That is how it works there. The same applies for July. Whatever you made in July, you will not receive until September. Get my point? So once your training is done, you will NOT be paid for another 10 weeks.
    3. I will now add insult to injury in #3 and #4 here. First off, when the initial schedule is made, those who perform the best receive the best schedule. In order to make money here you have to work EVERY WEEKEND. Since you are new you will be at the bottom of the performance ladder. This means that you will work on slow days throughout the week with no store traffic. So, that first "Real" paycheck that you will wait 10 weeks for after your traiing is done will be very little. And it will be like that for a while.
    4. Chargebacks. If you or somebody on shift with you sale a phone to a customer and they cancel service within the first 6 months, the commission that ALL OF YOU made on it will come out of your next paycheck. So lets say you sale a 4 phones on April 1, 2014 totaling $400 in commsion and the customer switches service to T-Mobile on October 31, 2014, your December paycheck will be -$400. Even if it is one day before the 6 month limit.
    5. People are shady. But then again you have to be to make money here. We never had phones in stock. They always wanted us to sale Android phones because they made more money than iPhones. Problem is we never had any good ones. We would sale out of the Samsung Galaxy phones in a week and only had LG Lucid 2's, which were free with a new 2 year contract. They sucked. Customers would always bring them back once they realized they could go to the corporate store and get the LG G2 for free.
    6. Customers were always pissed. I remember when Verizon was offering a $100 trade in for any used iPhone towards the purchase of a new one. We had the same thing but for $50. And it was only $50 if the phone was in great shape. I was told to tell people that you would only get $100 from the corporate store if it was in mint condition. Many customers soon found out that was a lie and would return irate demanding their phone back and complaining to Verizon headquarters about our practices.
    7. Stereotyping. Every time a young black man wearing a pair of jeans and a hat came into the store they labeled him a "Hershey". That is a person who is very likely to not pay their bills and lose service within the first 6 months. One night I ignored it and sold a phone to a guy who seemed to fit that description from Cellular Sales point of view. My manager was pissed that I sold this young black male wearing a pair of jeans and a baseball hat a new iPhone. I late rrevealed to him that the young man was in the military stationed at a local Army base and just got from Afghanistan, eager to get the new iPhone. I am a black man from Louisiana and I never experienced such racism in my life. Completely reprehensible! He later apologized. I can't make this stuff up people.
    8. Last but not least, Cellular Sales is only off 3 days a year. Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter Sunday. You WILL WORK on New Years Day and July 4th. Silly.
    I laugh at people who take this seroiusly.
    If you want to work in the mobile retail industry, go to Verizon, AT&T, ot T-Mobile corporate store. This is not where you wanted to be.

Advice to Management

1. Pay people more. I.e. salary and commission
    2. Change the culture. Especially the stereotyping. Fast!

There are newer employer reviews for Cellular Sales