Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

People are Great, Management Not So Much

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsVery much a "we are family" kind of feel between colleagues. Most people across departments are willing to help and contribute to the success of others. Benefits are good and autonomy is good & bad...good employees are free to do a great job & experiment with ideas but bad employees never seem to be dealt with...overall though a good working atmosphere.

ConsUpper Management = nothing but the "posse." Not creative, nor very bright it seems. This trickles down several levels. Promotion of friends is rampant, no matter the qualifications, and job performance isn't really judged it seems.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn the spotlight inward...step up and deal with the areas that are hurting the growth of the company. You will not create the digital company that you profess to want with the current set of people running the company. Custom needs to be blown up too...ineffective managers and editors. Maddening.

Overall a good experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cengage Learning

Pros: Good benefits, a lot of good people. Editorial and Marketing… Cons: Challenging pace of change. Many areas have no clear career… Advice to Senior Management: Staff development should me more of a priority. Managers are… More

If you want to work in the publishing industry, Cengage is not a bad choice.

Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Cengage Learning

Pros: If you have decided to make the publishing industry your career, Cengage is a good choice for a company. I believe they treat their… Cons: The industry is in transition now and I see very little from upper management to address the drastic measures needed to remain competitive in the… Advice to Senior Management: The challenges from the marketplace will only increase as the price of textbooks escalates. You will need to come up with very innovative strategies… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!