Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

Pro activity and hard work are actively discouraged.

Former Employee - Production  in  Mason, OH
Former Employee - Production in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits. Some good colleagues. Easy work.

Cons

Incompetence abounds. No one is held accountable. Lack of work ethic in the department I worked in. The middle managers were "yes" women as they didn't want to "rock the boat." Only fellow yes women were promoted in that department. I worked hard, did my job, and did it right; however, that wasn't enough. I needed to join the "quilting circle" to be part if the "in crowd." Sorry, I came to do my work. I didn't go to work to chit chat and sing "Kumbaya" in the friendship circle. Senior management very male dominated. They talked a good game, but never seemed to follow through.

Take a look a real look at what's going on in middle management. Hold people accountable for ter work. Stop adding layers of middle managers, as well. Talk to your low level "worker bees" to find out what's really goin on. Hire more professional managers and HR department.

Other Reviews for Cengage Learning

Company with so much potential.

I have been working at Cengage Learning

Pros

Smart, passionate colleagues. Opportunity to learn and try new things through a host of new teams, ideas, and committees being driven by a changing industry.

Cons

Past leadership has been too risk-adverse and most concerned with maximizing profits versus serving customers and acquiring new customers. It took a while for many to understand the vast change in the industry.

Make changes fast.

Cengage changes it sales structure twice in under a year.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Cengage Sales People...well, it used to be anyway, until they laid off almost 200 of them in the Higher Ed Group this week.

Cons

Beaurocracy at the top. Cengage keeps changing it's sales structure again and again, without giving it time to work. In June, Cengage had a major reorg in sales structure, and had some layoffs.
    Then, after outgoing head of sales (who made reorg) gets the boot, and they bring in new CEO, who then hires a new head of Sales (from Pearson) in December.
    Then, in February, yet another reorg, in which they lay off almost 200 employees, and reconfigure positions and sales territories, right in height of sales season. They dismissed hardworking, long time employees, many with terrific track records.

You don't reorg again after 5 months, and, especially in height of the selling season, when you are already having a horrible sales year. And, to lay off people in such a disrespectful way.. What goes around, comes around...or, in this case, what goes around...will come around and will take the ship under, like the Titanic. A merger with Apollo and McGraw-Hill is inevitable, which will then bring another reorg and more layoffs

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!