Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

They want innovation but are afraid to take the risks

Former Employee - Content Developer in Belmont, CA
Former Employee - Content Developer in Belmont, CA

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Desire for innovation
- Honest efforts to move into digital environment
-Belmont office has great views
-Willing to hear new ideas
-Gave me an opportunity to develop relationships with some interesting people with very good ideas

Cons

-Many of the best and brightest are gone (to be expected) and have been (in most cases, not all) replaced with lesser minds (troubling)

-Not the best pay

-Flexibility in work/life has gone down considerably (when I started we could work from home 2 days a week but then it went down to 1 in Q3 2012 and I believe now it is completely gone for most teams)

-Management is slow to accept change, they talk a big game regarding desire for innovation but are very gun-shy on any real initiates (somewhat understandable after the MindTap disaster)

-Rapid acquisitions in mid-2000s was handled poorly and created a disparate and often political corporate environment in which the old guard of print and the new school tech evangelists were often at odds (seems like print people often won these battles because of their experience in these sorts of altercations, after all, they've been fighting the battle to resist change for a long time so as to keep their own skin intact.)

Clean house at the upper manager level on the print side and put in people from the digital media space and enable them to take risks and move fast.

472 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Former Employee 8 years

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not many these days
    Finally got rid of some of thee unnecessary upper management layers - probably where they need to continue to cut if they want to save money.

Cons

Company continues to shove technology that doesn't work with no support out the door.
    Company has cut territories, cut support, cut compensation, doesn't give out goals til at least 6 months into the year, doesn't appreciate employees and relationships
    Expectations of upper management are completely unrealisitic in an industry that is declining due to transition.
    Raising prices will only price yourself right out of the market.
    Completely unfocused and no clear defining mission

How is it acceptable for management to claim earning are down 7% in the industry overall and expect 8, 9, 10% growth from their sales force?
    FYI if less than 70% of your sales force is actually hitting goal since APAX took over, you have a non motivated sales force and everyone knows a happy, appreciated, and motivated sales force is one that produces.

Pro activity and hard work are actively discouraged.

Former Employee - Production in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Production in Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Some good colleagues. Easy work.

Cons

Incompetence abounds. No one is held accountable. Lack of work ethic in the department I worked in. The middle managers were "yes" women as they didn't want to "rock the boat." Only fellow yes women were promoted in that department. I worked hard, did my job, and did it right; however, that wasn't enough. I needed to join the "quilting circle" to be part if the "in crowd." Sorry, I came to do my work. I didn't go to work to chit chat and sing "Kumbaya" in the friendship circle. Senior management very male dominated. They talked a good game, but never seemed to follow through.

Take a look a real look at what's going on in middle management. Hold people accountable for ter work. Stop adding layers of middle managers, as well. Talk to your low level "worker bees" to find out what's really goin on. Hire more professional managers and HR department.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning