Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

They want innovation but are afraid to take the risks

Content Developer (Former Employee) Belmont, CA

Pros-Desire for innovation
- Honest efforts to move into digital environment
-Belmont office has great views
-Willing to hear new ideas
-Gave me an opportunity to develop relationships with some interesting people with very good ideas

Cons-Many of the best and brightest are gone (to be expected) and have been (in most cases, not all) replaced with lesser minds (troubling)

-Not the best pay

-Flexibility in work/life has gone down considerably (when I started we could work from home 2 days a week but then it went down to 1 in Q3 2012 and I believe now it is completely gone for most teams)

-Management is slow to accept change, they talk a big game regarding desire for innovation but are very gun-shy on any real initiates (somewhat understandable after the MindTap disaster)

-Rapid acquisitions in mid-2000s was handled poorly and created a disparate and often political corporate environment in which the old guard of print and the new school tech evangelists were often at odds (seems like print people often won these battles because of their experience in these sorts of altercations, after all, they've been fighting the battle to resist change for a long time so as to keep their own skin intact.)

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house at the upper manager level on the print side and put in people from the digital media space and enable them to take risks and move fast.

Former Employee 8 years

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Not many these days Finally got rid of some of thee unnecessary upper management layers… Cons: Company continues to shove technology that doesn't work with no support out the door. Company has cut territories, cut support, cut compensation, doesn't give out goals… Advice to Senior Management: How is it acceptable for management to claim earning are down 7% in the industry overall and expect 8, 9, 10% growth from their sales… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Pro activity and hard work are actively discouraged.

Production (Former Employee) Mason, OH

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Decent benefits. Some good colleagues. Easy work. Cons: Incompetence abounds. No one is held accountable. Lack of work ethic in the department I worked in. The middle managers were "yes" women as they… Advice to Senior Management: Take a look a real look at what's going on in middle management. Hold people accountable for ter work. Stop adding layers of middle… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!