Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

They want innovation but are afraid to take the risks

Former Employee - Content Developer  in  Belmont, CA
Former Employee - Content Developer in Belmont, CA

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Desire for innovation
- Honest efforts to move into digital environment
-Belmont office has great views
-Willing to hear new ideas
-Gave me an opportunity to develop relationships with some interesting people with very good ideas

Cons

-Many of the best and brightest are gone (to be expected) and have been (in most cases, not all) replaced with lesser minds (troubling)

-Not the best pay

-Flexibility in work/life has gone down considerably (when I started we could work from home 2 days a week but then it went down to 1 in Q3 2012 and I believe now it is completely gone for most teams)

-Management is slow to accept change, they talk a big game regarding desire for innovation but are very gun-shy on any real initiates (somewhat understandable after the MindTap disaster)

-Rapid acquisitions in mid-2000s was handled poorly and created a disparate and often political corporate environment in which the old guard of print and the new school tech evangelists were often at odds (seems like print people often won these battles because of their experience in these sorts of altercations, after all, they've been fighting the battle to resist change for a long time so as to keep their own skin intact.)

Clean house at the upper manager level on the print side and put in people from the digital media space and enable them to take risks and move fast.

397 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Addicted to reorganization

Former Employee - Field Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Reps. hired are smart people willing to work very hard, company car.

Cons

Why do a massive new hire in August and 6 months later let an equal number of employees go without notice, explanation or rationale? There is no work life balance here. This is a 24/7 job and you will never finish or catch up. Management now requests all days on campus and follow up and preparation to be done in the evenings and the weekends. The Friday office day is frowned upon or "illegal" depending upon who you work for,.

Stop reorganizing and hiring new college graduates to replace experienced, successful sales professionals. Get out in the field to understand where the market really is and what today's challenges are. If you want to be a digital organization why keep paying more of a bonus for book sales vs. digital. There is no loyalty to employees especially those that have given their all to help the company succeed.

Happy to be Gone

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work/Life balance is great. Telecommuting for most positions is an option.

Cons

Where to start? I was there for almost 4 years. In the same position. With practically the same (horrible) pay. The work was mind-numbing. The cubicle was demoralizing. My manager was content with being stagnant. This translated into my manager wanting ME to be stagnant. Promoting from within was an issue. 'Clicks' were an issue.

Don't roll out half-baked initiatives and then proceed to change them dramatically every month. It's frustrating. Appreciate the talent you have and PAY them what the are worth.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!