Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Getting better -- we're on the right track. finally!

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

New senior leadership is on a mission to re-engage and rebuild employees and this business. Refreshing and inspiring.

Cons

Lots of change - some of it painful - to get Cengage back on course. If you can't stand ambiguity or change - this place is not for you.

Be thoughtful and deliberate in your haste to make changes. Do it right.

397 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

I have been working at Cengage Learning

Pros

Big player in the market, pretty easy to move laterally

Cons

Upper level management promotes friends, pay is not great

Dysfunctional and Mismanaged

Current Employee - Assistant Editor
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of the people who work at Cengage are wonderful.

Cons

There is a glaring lack of communication between departments, which creates a pervasive culture of confusion. The company is constantly reorganizing, seemingly without any regard for the employees affected by the reorgs. Upper management is secretive and often maintains a tone of blatant disrespect for the entry-level employees. Mid-management is in shambles because of the reorgs and there is a constant struggle between the new managers (who are not discipline-aligned) and old manangers (who are discipline-aligned). Again, this creates confusion for the entry-level employees, some of whom have as many as 4 "managers" telling them different things do and different ways to handle things. There are frequent promotions for mid/upper level managers (who then do not receive proper training to manage employees), but there is literally zero room for entry-level employees to move up. I say "literally" because they have simply stopped replacing people leave the company. Perhaps the most infuriating aspect of the job is that management seems oblivious to the fact that a significant portion of their employees are recent college grads. Rather than use us a resource, we have to sit in meetings where managers refer to college students as "lazy" and "think they are always right," simply because students refuse to shell out $300 for a textbook that they can get second-hand for much less. This is a terrible place to work. The pay is pretty much impossible to live on (WELL below market) and because they aren't filling entry-level positions, most of us are filling what should be multiple jobs with no extra pay. The enviornment is toxic, the good employees are all jumping ship (wisely) and the company refuses to adapt new strategies that would actually lower the cost of textbooks.

For some incomprehensible reason, you can't seem to grasp the fact that if we took steps to create low-cost texts and products, students would probably be a lot less "lazy" when it comes to buying their books. Look up what Louie C.K. did with "Live at the Beacon Theater." Pretty much the same concept should be applied here. I will leave it at that, since there's nothing I can say that would affect the way management operates.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!