Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Struggling to make the digital transition

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Belmont, CA
Former Employee - Data Analyst in Belmont, CA

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people on the technology side who know how to deliver the next generation educational technology products. The teams I worked with have a lot of heart and camaraderie. Some of the senior management I worked with/for was great, and I always personally received a lot of support from them.

Cons

I apologize that this review might be a bit delayed. I left this company last summer to take on a new opportunity. I wasn't actively looking, so I was somewhat satisfied with my role.

That being said, when I was there, Cengage struggled a lot with obsolete processes, systems and databases. I could feel senior management wanting to make that leap, but I think they were not equipped to do so. They need a bit of a refresh to get together the right strategy.

Hire people who know modern methods to product development and business strategy who can provide insight to senior- and executive-level management.

As you're transitioning, don't forget to stay at the pulse of the customer. This is a smart long-term growth strategy and will solidify your brand. The sales and customer support teams have a wealth of information about the customers that isn't captured and should be involved in the product development strategy. Leverage your Sales and Customer Support data. It is VERY useful.

Hire smart data scientists, who can do deep dives into the product and can help you personalize the customer experience. They are what you need to get ahead of the competition.

457 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Good people, but issues with communication among departments

I worked at Cengage Learning as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

In general, there is a good atmosphere. People are helpful and take ownership of their work, and until corporate restructuring was on the horizon, it wasn't competitive.

Cons

Departments have the tendency to become isolated from other related groups, and there are communication break-downs that can cause issues.

Recognize the strengths in all of the products you offer, not just the ones that generate the most revenue or have had the most money invested into them.

Was a great company until new management

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule allowed you to work your territory like a small business owner. You used to be able to see the benefit of hours of hard work.

Cons

Constant change in price structure undermined customer relationships. Lack of price transparency will continue to lose business as competitors cease on this weakness.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning