Cengage Learning
www.cengage.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Struggling to make the digital transition

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
Belmont, CA

ProsGreat people on the technology side who know how to deliver the next generation educational technology products. The teams I worked with have a lot of heart and camaraderie. Some of the senior management I worked with/for was great, and I always personally received a lot of support from them.

ConsI apologize that this review might be a bit delayed. I left this company last summer to take on a new opportunity. I wasn't actively looking, so I was somewhat satisfied with my role.

That being said, when I was there, Cengage struggled a lot with obsolete processes, systems and databases. I could feel senior management wanting to make that leap, but I think they were not equipped to do so. They need a bit of a refresh to get together the right strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know modern methods to product development and business strategy who can provide insight to senior- and executive-level management.

As you're transitioning, don't forget to stay at the pulse of the customer. This is a smart long-term growth strategy and will solidify your brand. The sales and customer support teams have a wealth of information about the customers that isn't captured and should be involved in the product development strategy. Leverage your Sales and Customer Support data. It is VERY useful.

Hire smart data scientists, who can do deep dives into the product and can help you personalize the customer experience. They are what you need to get ahead of the competition.

This company is headed for bankruptcy...do not kid yourself

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: It used to be the people and the support of… Cons: Close to 300 talented, hard working and loyal employees in sales, sales management and editorial, were laid off within the last year alone. (Interestingly enough,… Advice to Senior Management: Stop continuing to reorganize without giving it time. Do you actually think getting rid of long time employees in favor of younger, cheaper Pearson recruits… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Incestuous Management, Ineffective technology, inefficient workflows

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros: The people that were here and have since left or let go were fantastic. The people that are still here are pretty darn good. The… Cons: 2 Re-Orgs within a year, going on 3. Company is owned by a private equity firm, and hinging… Advice to Senior Management: Please, if you want to be efficient, get a DAM in place now. If you want to be effective in the marketplace and breed loyalty… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!

Cengage Learning – Why Work for Us?

Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library markets worldwide. The company's products and services are designed to foster… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cengage Learning reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cengage Learning CEO Michael Hansen. All reviews posted anonymously by Cengage Learning employees.