Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

Great products but very troubled company because of highly leveraged purchase from Thomson and poor product decisions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmington Hills, MI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Best in class products, industry leadership in the library reference space and some niche areas on the textbook side.

Cons

Too much debt and bad management decisions have caused a major upheaval. Constant reorganization starting in 2010 left many good employees jobless while, for the most part, the upper-middle management folks have snaked their way into new positions within the company. Just because you claim to be a "digital" company doesn't make it so.

Declare Bankruptcy, sell off the profitable divisions that have strong reoccurring revenue to companies that can maximize their potential

Other reviews for Cengage Learning

We Finally Seem to be on the Move

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

Pros

There is new energy around the company these days, and management seems to be aware of our biggest concerns about communication, vision and execution seem to have a viable plan to address these problems.

In the past two months, my degree of responsibility, power to execute on plans I make, and understanding of the company's goals and commitments have improved exponentially. There seem to be far fewer layers of approval (or disapproval) between me and my goals and lately it is much easier to get the necessary people on board to make things happen.

My colleagues have always been top notch. I continue to enjoy the opportunity to work with really great people.

Cons

Many of these "pros" are tentative. A lot depends on us being able to maintain our newly acquired momentum.

There is a lot of uncertainty in this industry. It is clear that education is ALWAYS going to be important, but In The Future, none of us is certain who will be delivering it and what will be the best way to earn a living making education happen.

I am willing to give the new management and new organizational structure a try, but have decided not to pursue a promotion for which I think I would be perfect because it would involve moving my family, and I'm not yet willing to bet the farm on my new found enthusiasm for this company.

You seem to be really listening: to our customers, to our industry and to us. There is some skepticism among my colleagues about whether your interest and investment in us is genuine or just the latest management craze. I, for one, sort of don't care which it is. For the first time in a long while, at least someone is saying something that makes sense.

Vipers now in charge

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

Great people below c-level, some great products

Cons

*Just declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy
    *New c-level management is truly ruthless
    *Overloaded at the top and understaffed below
    *Worst change management possible

Develop some basic human decency

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!