Cengage Learning

Product Manager

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Boston, MA
Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible work environment. Ability to telecommute which is great. People are all great and very collaborative.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Sometimes there can be a lot of churn and no ability to get stuff done which can get frustrating.

401 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Contractor Perspective

Current Employee - Editorial  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Editorial in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage Learning as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

--- Most employees were pleasant to work with.
    --- Some authors took great care in their work.

Cons

--- Changes in the last five years (most likely because of new management after the buyout from Thompson) have caused employees to devalue the quality of their textbook material.
    --- As the assistant editor pointed out, there is a lack of communication among the departments and across the company. We would get request to stop a particular process just to have someone urgently asking where those files are. The issue would get resolved then resurface a couple of months later.
    --- Although some employees took great pride in their work, many did not. Sometimes, we, the contractor, were blamed for the mistakes and were able to defend ourselves with evidence from the source files; other times, I am sure the word never got back to us. When we were able to defend ourselves, the response was silence. It didn't use to be this way.
    --- I am sure Cengage trains their employees but not well enough. Some editorial staff lacked some basic skills for being in the publishing industry, i.e., grammar, spelling, basic knowledge about history, math, government, etc.
    --- There is a relative high employee turnover for those at the bottom rung of the corporate ladder.
    --- As others have pointed out, some editing has been outsourced to India. Although this is "cheaper" in the short-term, the subtle product quality is noticeable. For example, the English in India is British English. Additionally, non-native English speakers will not notice context clues. We have seen these glaring mistakes.

--- Value quality in your products. You may save a $100 today but quality is never cheap or fast. Some of your customers may take a chance on another textbook because of constant and blatant errors in your material. Some may tell you "why", while most of your customers will just quietly leave.
    --- Value quality in your employees. If your middle-management is not knowledgeable nor does it value quality, how will it oversea and train those new hires?
    --- Move jobs back to U.S.

Things turned sour as bankruptcy approached; hope restructuring will revitalize it

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

dedicated employees with long tenure who are good at what they do. Culture is a bit old school though that is changing quickly, however it is still a personal touch environment.

Cons

Employees at all levels were very hierarchical and owned their work, sharing and collaboration were not embraced to any degree. Company struggled because of switch to digital and that mentality of old print vs digital workers existed up through bankruptcy.

be up front with employees, yet have a plan. Transparency is today's buzzword, but the old management was opaque. The new Excomm must be more transparent.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!