There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Over the 10+ years I have been here, some moments and some people have been wonderful.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of variety in career options. People are friendly and genuinely helpful.

Cons

Pay is poor. Currently in bankruptcy. Inconsistencies from one department to another. Those of us who work really hard get paid the same as those that don't. Big secrecy of salaries, and management tells us not to talk to one another about it. Raises past number of years have been in the 1 to 2% range, so we're sliding backwards with health care cost increases. Only way to get ahead is to move to a different department.

reviews filtered by

Do you really want to work for a company that files bankrupcty? - No and here is why.

Current Employee - Editorial Director
    Current Employee - Editorial Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The health insurance and 8 paid weeks maternity leave.

Cons

The majority of the senior level management team are Caucasian and males. Any minorities in upper management are paid $1000s less regardless of the education. (I am not allowed to reveal the exact office, but most are in the South.) Special favor is held for those females the men find attractive and those females are rewarded with jobs for which they are not qualified. Many people with college degrees and more experience in their fields were passed over for jobs because of a strong culture of dishonesty from human resources.

The company continues to fail because the people are unhappy and unfulfilled. Typically they prefer to put the women they find work in mediocre management positions so they can fulfill their equal opportunity requirements.

For those of you in shock by these statements, review the Cengage learning org chart from some of their southern offices and you would be shocked at the obvious lines drawn. When asked why the culture was not as “mixed” in their offices as they were in the warehouse…HR responded “we only have to have 2.7 minorities for every 100. HR tends to use fear to drive employees out they do not want to pay a severance to. Bankruptcy and corruption are no surprise when it comes to Cengage Learning.

Listent to your staff, even if they are women and straight.

Once a great company to work for

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Was once a great company to work for but has since changed. Reasonable goals for company is in the past.

Cons

Deteriorating benefits with higher employee payment responsibility. Company in bankruptcy. It's not what you know it's who you know. Different rules apply to different employees when trying to climb the ladder for success. Especially in sales and marketing. HR is only looking out for upper management - be leery of working for this company.

Look at your senior management team and evaluate how much money it's costing the company in both monetary and employee sacrifices.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning