Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Loved my seventeen year career at Cengage Learning--superb office culture; great coworkers; learn something new daily.

Former Employee - Content Project Manager  in  Farmington Hills, MI
Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I liked working in editorial; it gave me a lot of freedom to run projects in ways that my boss and I thought best, and I was able to wear a lot of different hats on any given day or week. This made the job enjoyable. One of the best parts of the job was taking a project through to completion and knowing that it would be used by students and librarians for learning. That was immensely rewarding to me.

Cons

Lots of change in the reference publishing industry over the last few years. Lots of initiatives to find the "next big" electronic solution, and to increase the digital offerings as opposed to print offerings. Many changes in leadership and vision over last seven or eight years.

I would recommend putting even more time and resources into new product development. It seemed to me that Cengage was looking to workers in "the trenches" to innovate and conceptualize the "next big thing"--instead of having teams/individuals devoted solely to those tasks. Those in the "trenches" are busy enough cranking out existing product, and are not well-suited, or don't have the time available, to conceptualize and innovate new product ideas.

397 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Good freelance, if you could get it

Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cengage Learning part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work was straightforward, if a little tedious

Cons

Hard to get projects unless they have a big surplus. They tend to give the projects to whichever freelancer is pestering them. So pester away.

Inspiring the world to learn

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Cengage Learning engages learners and scholars with innovative & compelling products. We get to be a part of a company that improves lives through learning.
    - The people who work at Cengage are incredible. You won't find more dedicated, interesting, and collaborative colleagues anywhere else.
    - The people managers in my group are great and accessible. They value employees and commit time to coaching and feedback and to developing people.
    - Great benefits: time off, health and dental, flexible schedules, transit benefits, matching charitable gifts, bonus and profit sharing plans.
    - The management team has gelled over the past year. They have made significant changes, all of which make a lot of sense, focusing groups by market segment and empowering employees.
    - Discretionary dress code: use your judgment on what to wear to work based on where you are & who you will interact with.

Cons

- Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements. Each group manages this differently, however, based on business needs. YMMV.
    - Our CEO is pushing for speed and for us to be more nimble. The company needs to take a microscope to the policies and systems that are cumbersome and prevent speed in decision making or execution.
    - Our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The company culture does not always recognize transferable skill sets in its employees, with tendencies to pigeon hole "print people" as unable to be part of digital solutions. We need to break down those walls.

- Recognize skill sets (design, project management, content creation) that are transferable regardless of medium. Actively challenge, develop, and train employees to grow with the company.
    - Invest more in professional development of employees. Give managers specific budgets to tailor development programs for their teams.
    - Keep up the great & open communication with employees. Keep going in the direction of empowerment and with pushing decision making downward.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!