Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

Loved my seventeen year career at Cengage Learning--superb office culture; great coworkers; learn something new daily.

Former Employee - Content Project Manager  in  Farmington Hills, MI
Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I liked working in editorial; it gave me a lot of freedom to run projects in ways that my boss and I thought best, and I was able to wear a lot of different hats on any given day or week. This made the job enjoyable. One of the best parts of the job was taking a project through to completion and knowing that it would be used by students and librarians for learning. That was immensely rewarding to me.

Cons

Lots of change in the reference publishing industry over the last few years. Lots of initiatives to find the "next big" electronic solution, and to increase the digital offerings as opposed to print offerings. Many changes in leadership and vision over last seven or eight years.

I would recommend putting even more time and resources into new product development. It seemed to me that Cengage was looking to workers in "the trenches" to innovate and conceptualize the "next big thing"--instead of having teams/individuals devoted solely to those tasks. Those in the "trenches" are busy enough cranking out existing product, and are not well-suited, or don't have the time available, to conceptualize and innovate new product ideas.

Other Reviews for Cengage Learning

We are headed in the right direction.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many interesting challenges and opportunities as we continue our transition to a digital company. We have senior management that understands what is necessary and are making positive changes.

Cons

As with many large corporations, the culture and workflows tend to get bogged down by bureaucracy.

Keep enabling grass roots changes to happen. Be aggressive with change as much as possible. We need to get to a small company feeling and culture to improve our nimbleness. Absolutely need more improvement on aligning product and technology.

Good freelance, if you could get it

Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cengage Learning part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work was straightforward, if a little tedious

Cons

Hard to get projects unless they have a big surplus. They tend to give the projects to whichever freelancer is pestering them. So pester away.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!