Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Loved my seventeen year career at Cengage Learning--superb office culture; great coworkers; learn something new daily.

Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I liked working in editorial; it gave me a lot of freedom to run projects in ways that my boss and I thought best, and I was able to wear a lot of different hats on any given day or week. This made the job enjoyable. One of the best parts of the job was taking a project through to completion and knowing that it would be used by students and librarians for learning. That was immensely rewarding to me.

Cons

Lots of change in the reference publishing industry over the last few years. Lots of initiatives to find the "next big" electronic solution, and to increase the digital offerings as opposed to print offerings. Many changes in leadership and vision over last seven or eight years.

I would recommend putting even more time and resources into new product development. It seemed to me that Cengage was looking to workers in "the trenches" to innovate and conceptualize the "next big thing"--instead of having teams/individuals devoted solely to those tasks. Those in the "trenches" are busy enough cranking out existing product, and are not well-suited, or don't have the time available, to conceptualize and innovate new product ideas.

460 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Executives are working hard to turn it around

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Technology team is smart and driven to create quality products for our customers. Agile software development enforces a viable, working product from the start.

Cons

Product management and editorial need to flip the switch and think "digital first". Many procedures and workflows are still too print focused.

Keep pushing for change and breaking down artificial barriers between departments.

Despite the company financial status, it is a nice place to work at.

Former Employee - Technology Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technology Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, relaxed working environment, global existence, family-friendly working place.

Cons

Currently in shaky financial situation, poor medical benefits, mediocre compensation, minimum raise opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning