Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Loved my seventeen year career at Cengage Learning--superb office culture; great coworkers; learn something new daily.

Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
Former Employee - Content Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I liked working in editorial; it gave me a lot of freedom to run projects in ways that my boss and I thought best, and I was able to wear a lot of different hats on any given day or week. This made the job enjoyable. One of the best parts of the job was taking a project through to completion and knowing that it would be used by students and librarians for learning. That was immensely rewarding to me.

Cons

Lots of change in the reference publishing industry over the last few years. Lots of initiatives to find the "next big" electronic solution, and to increase the digital offerings as opposed to print offerings. Many changes in leadership and vision over last seven or eight years.

I would recommend putting even more time and resources into new product development. It seemed to me that Cengage was looking to workers in "the trenches" to innovate and conceptualize the "next big thing"--instead of having teams/individuals devoted solely to those tasks. Those in the "trenches" are busy enough cranking out existing product, and are not well-suited, or don't have the time available, to conceptualize and innovate new product ideas.

432 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

A Political Educational

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits is standard with occasional work from home if repairs, etc. are neccessary (with 24 hour approval), corporate management team (leadership) is strong and driven to improve processes with a forward thinking/proactive attitude. Company corporate and platform level open to change and change happens often - so if you don't like constant change you won't like Cengage. Good Opportunities to move around in the company. The company operation in a very laid back environment.

Cons

Salary is not within industry standards, office culture borders on inappropriate a "boy's network" and "high school cliquish" mentality. Many of the managers have been here a long time so many of the people they manage are their friends. Hence promotions based on relationships and not work and people allowed to take 2 hour lunches or work from home sick. Women are underpaid and promotional are more "political" rather than on performance. Contractors are treated differently, not terribly with you are treated better when/if you are hired into the company. Speaking from a platform level people are team, but the ideal of team work is loss, people clique up and it becomes an everyman/women for their self a lot of the time. Employee spend 50-60% of their day on Facebook, if crazy and I have never worked in an environment where employees waste so much time on Facebook posting throughout the day.

The company office culture and salary is the many reason I have not refered people to Cengage, because its difficult to be promoted as a women and the salary is too low. I would recommend leadership have a discussion with your management team on platform and development level to encourage them to learn about setting professional boundaries. Your managers have to learn to understand you need to create boundaries and keep professional within the office and treat employees the same. This many be a HR tranining issue to manager to point out when professional boundaries are crossed and how this effects the team moral and this is why people leave. We many love what Cengage does and our job, but we can't and don't love the "political social environment" of the company/platform.

Good Company Starting to Go in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting innovation
    Good benefits
    Heading in right direction

Cons

A lot of new people who are all trying to put their stamp on things

Don't discount someone's opinion just because they have been here for awhile. Change can be good, but it is not always needed.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning