Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Love working for the company, don't think they use their employees to their fullest potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility is great as are the vacation/medical benefits.

Cons

Salary not up to industry standards

Use your employees to their fullest and provide them with goals that actually result in promotions.

432 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Political, No Room For Growth, Low Salary, No Lower Level Employee Support

I have been working at Cengage Learning

Pros

If you're lucky enough to be on a good team, the environment can be great. Schedules are flexible, dress code is casual. There are some good ideas that will hopefully pan out in the future.

Cons

There is absolutely no room for growth. The last round of "promotions" were for middle management and given to the lifers who drink the cool-aid and would never admit when a process or project isn't working. There's an environment of "come to me with your problems and suggestions", but past experience has shown that doing so puts you on a blacklist with management and HR. There's a general consensus that HR tattles to management and management disregards employee concerns. Anyone who has been with the company for over a year knows better than to trust voicing their opinions to HR or management since we've seen how horribly that ends for those involved.

There's very little room for growth and the salary is embarrassingly low, especially compared to our competitors and how much it costs to live in the city. When management says that the salary is fair, I don't think they understand how little a salary in the $30K range actually covers. Many of my fellow colleagues have to pick up a second job just to cover rent or student loan payments. There's an obvious old school mentality that doesn't understand or utilize the younger generation, especially when we have insight into the demographic of our customers and the type of technology Cengage wants us to create. The products are very dated, but suggestions on how to improve them are constantly ignored. How can you expect younger employees to stay motivated when their suggestions for technology and content that they're familiar with are pushed aside because they don't align with old school, archaic ideas?

The morale is very low, especially with the reorg that is now asking employees to do twice the work AND switch over to a new role. I constantly leave the office frustrated, tired, overworked and underpaid, and wondering why I continue to make suggestions when no one listens. The environment itself ranges from cliquey, high school lunch table to an old boy's club. Let's not even talk about the dismissal of women when certain men are in a meeting or the cattiness that comes from other women when someone doesn't fit into their ideal personality mold. Promotions are based on popularity and friendship and a lot of people have been giver higher titles and more responsibility (but no higher salary) as a way to placate them. I've been with the company for three years and all the "new opportunities" management keeps saying they have are non-existent. It's the type of place where if you don't want to brownnose, you're never going to get promoted.

Cengage has the opportunity to go in great directions, but it's very clear that they want a certain type of person and unfortunately, the type of people they want are not the type of people that will help the business grow in the direction they intend.

If you really want to listen to your employees, ACTUALLY LISTEN. It doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence if you keep stating that you're open to suggestions or complaints, but push aside anything you don't like. If a lot of people are complaining or leaving because of poor salary and benefits, maybe you should reconsider how much you pay management compared to how little you pay lower level employees. More importantly, stop treating your customers in such a condescending manner. Those jokes about how college kids spend their money on beer and weed instead of textbook reek of classism and are insulting many of your under 30 employees who are still struggling to pay off student loan debt. There's an uncomfortable level of classism, ignorance, and condescension from management a lot of the time.

A company in old publishing/new publishing limbo that just can't seem to move forward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The majority of people I worked with are good, nice, smart people who genuinely care about education, solving problems, and developing quality content. The culture is good; there is a strong value of work-life balance and personal/family commitments. There is a high proportion of women in the company, even on the tech/engineering teams, which makes me proud.

Cons

The company has been discussing moving forward into new digital spheres and initiatives for the last four years or more, but it has been very hard for them to put their money where their mouth is. Years ago, the company was stalled by a lot of executive shuffling (and quite possibly infighting) which lead to a series of massive company-wide reorgs that never seemed to do anything. Many mid-level execs and managers seemed threatened by the new digital initiatives and actively resisted, which lead to funding cuts and stalled projects. In the Bay Area office, we **hemorrhaged** people as engineers and other valuable tech-minded people left for greener pastures.

Lately, the company has made some new changes that seem to be a little more proactive about moving in new directions, and has a new executive team--whom I do actually largely respect--but with so many good people lost I worry it's too little too late.

I think Cengage's value as a workplace is in the fact that it's NOT an over-the-top, 80 hour workweek tech monstrosity. Balanced, happy people are more creative and more productive people. This may be an angle to play up as we try to attract new talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning