Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

reinventing the wheel in silos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great, and there is a lot of energy around new products. If you live in SF and don't have personal responsibilities that require working from home from time to time the energy is with you.

Cons

Now that the company is shifting its focus to educational software it is hiring many people who have no publishing background. These people are golden because they come from a tech background, and this means they don't need to learn anything about existing processes. they are often in their own silo and want no input from anyone who has been through the changing landscape of the publishing industry. They would rather reinvent the wheel by themselves. maybe that will work, but it will be needlessly time-consuming.
Meanwhile, those who are not golden are scrambling to protect their jobs, unwilling to collaborate because there might not be enough work for all. A scarcity mentality means less collaboration across teams, despite constant lip service given that term.
since the move to the Sf office and a near cancellation of the possibility to telecommute, many employees with families have been forced out. The commute from peninsula suburbs is expensive and grueling and the time involved means less time with the family. lower than average pay for the area means moving closer to the office is not an option.

Asking employees to post reviews on glassdoor is disingenuous. We know that means negative glassdoor reviews are causing problems with recruiting top talent.

413 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Big learning curve

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company car, expenses paid, great support from managers and other employees.

Cons

Lots to learn in a short amount of time. Takes about 2 years to fully comprehend and be successful.

Love the people, not sure about the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cengage Learning as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoy being considered as part of the team within my department. The new office allows for more casual experiences with colleagues.

Cons

As a contractor, I feel as though the company can not make up its mind as to include us, or leave us out of the loop. The company that Cengage contracts us from, says we are not an employee of theirs, and Cengage says we are not an employee of theirs either, feel as no one wants to claim us as employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning