Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Inspiring the world to learn

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Cengage Learning engages learners and scholars with innovative & compelling products. We get to be a part of a company that improves lives through learning.
- The people who work at Cengage are incredible. You won't find more dedicated, interesting, and collaborative colleagues anywhere else.
- The people managers in my group are great and accessible. They value employees and commit time to coaching and feedback and to developing people.
- Great benefits: time off, health and dental, flexible schedules, transit benefits, matching charitable gifts, bonus and profit sharing plans.
- The management team has gelled over the past year. They have made significant changes, all of which make a lot of sense, focusing groups by market segment and empowering employees.
- Discretionary dress code: use your judgment on what to wear to work based on where you are & who you will interact with.

Cons

- Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements. Each group manages this differently, however, based on business needs. YMMV.
- Our CEO is pushing for speed and for us to be more nimble. The company needs to take a microscope to the policies and systems that are cumbersome and prevent speed in decision making or execution.
- Our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The company culture does not always recognize transferable skill sets in its employees, with tendencies to pigeon hole "print people" as unable to be part of digital solutions. We need to break down those walls.

- Recognize skill sets (design, project management, content creation) that are transferable regardless of medium. Actively challenge, develop, and train employees to grow with the company.
- Invest more in professional development of employees. Give managers specific budgets to tailor development programs for their teams.
- Keep up the great & open communication with employees. Keep going in the direction of empowerment and with pushing decision making downward.

472 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

We are headed in the right direction.

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many interesting challenges and opportunities as we continue our transition to a digital company. We have senior management that understands what is necessary and are making positive changes.

Cons

As with many large corporations, the culture and workflows tend to get bogged down by bureaucracy.

Keep enabling grass roots changes to happen. Be aggressive with change as much as possible. We need to get to a small company feeling and culture to improve our nimbleness. Absolutely need more improvement on aligning product and technology.

Trying to embrace digital in the face of a declining print industry

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic co-workers
    Flexibility to work from home if moving near an office is not an option
    Great work-life balance
    Good benefits, including 401K matching up to 4%
    Recently restructured to accommodate the changes in this industry
    Product development focus is on delighting the student

Cons

Still adjusting to the move to digital
    Slow in development on the engineering side because they are understaffed
    Extra health insurance premium fee if your spouse has insurance through his/her work
    Promotion infrequency

Hire more engineers and UX designers!
    Love the new Software Development Manager role