Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

Inspiring the world to learn

Director (Current Employee)

Pros- Cengage Learning engages learners and scholars with innovative & compelling products. We get to be a part of a company that improves lives through learning.
- The people who work at Cengage are incredible. You won't find more dedicated, interesting, and collaborative colleagues anywhere else.
- The people managers in my group are great and accessible. They value employees and commit time to coaching and feedback and to developing people.
- Great benefits: time off, health and dental, flexible schedules, transit benefits, matching charitable gifts, bonus and profit sharing plans.
- The management team has gelled over the past year. They have made significant changes, all of which make a lot of sense, focusing groups by market segment and empowering employees.
- Discretionary dress code: use your judgment on what to wear to work based on where you are & who you will interact with.

Cons- Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements. Each group manages this differently, however, based on business needs. YMMV.
- Our CEO is pushing for speed and for us to be more nimble. The company needs to take a microscope to the policies and systems that are cumbersome and prevent speed in decision making or execution.
- Our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The company culture does not always recognize transferable skill sets in its employees, with tendencies to pigeon hole "print people" as unable to be part of digital solutions. We need to break down those walls.

Advice to Senior Management- Recognize skill sets (design, project management, content creation) that are transferable regardless of medium. Actively challenge, develop, and train employees to grow with the company.
- Invest more in professional development of employees. Give managers specific budgets to tailor development programs for their teams.
- Keep up the great & open communication with employees. Keep going in the direction of empowerment and with pushing decision making downward.

Positive outlook; Awkwardly growing technical division

Software Developer (Current Employee) Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: My manager is excellent. He is hands off, respects his reports' autonomy and understands and is accommodating to external demands. He regularly checks in… Cons: It feels like the technology organization within the company is still finding its footing. There have been several rounds of structural reorganization as they… Advice to Senior Management: You need to change the business management systems used for product creation to work better for digital products (not just platforms). You need to give us… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Leadership 'Gets It'

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The C-level execs of the company who came in at the beginning of our financial crisis truly get it. I have worked here for over… Cons: The old management was addicted to divisional reorganizations and were convinced it was the way to change the culture. This has gone on for 5… Advice to Senior Management: You can't change the culture by changing people's job titles.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!