Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Inspiring the world to learn

Current Employee - Director
Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Cengage Learning engages learners and scholars with innovative & compelling products. We get to be a part of a company that improves lives through learning.
- The people who work at Cengage are incredible. You won't find more dedicated, interesting, and collaborative colleagues anywhere else.
- The people managers in my group are great and accessible. They value employees and commit time to coaching and feedback and to developing people.
- Great benefits: time off, health and dental, flexible schedules, transit benefits, matching charitable gifts, bonus and profit sharing plans.
- The management team has gelled over the past year. They have made significant changes, all of which make a lot of sense, focusing groups by market segment and empowering employees.
- Discretionary dress code: use your judgment on what to wear to work based on where you are & who you will interact with.

Cons

- Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements. Each group manages this differently, however, based on business needs. YMMV.
- Our CEO is pushing for speed and for us to be more nimble. The company needs to take a microscope to the policies and systems that are cumbersome and prevent speed in decision making or execution.
- Our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The company culture does not always recognize transferable skill sets in its employees, with tendencies to pigeon hole "print people" as unable to be part of digital solutions. We need to break down those walls.

- Recognize skill sets (design, project management, content creation) that are transferable regardless of medium. Actively challenge, develop, and train employees to grow with the company.
- Invest more in professional development of employees. Give managers specific budgets to tailor development programs for their teams.
- Keep up the great & open communication with employees. Keep going in the direction of empowerment and with pushing decision making downward.

397 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

More to learn about moving from ink to software.

I worked at Cengage Learning

Pros

Cengage Learning has great product concepts with talented people eager to make those concepts real. I see great potential in their aspirations for electronic education.

Cons

Cengage Learning is shackled by their history - just like many traditional companies attempting to shift their competency for what is made and how they make it.

Specifically, Cengage’s accepted management practices reflect their early publication culture – a culture that serves as an impediment to rapid, evolving delivery of software and services. Examples include:

- “Content must be complete before publication is addressed” may be true for traditional print, but not for publication via software. Hoping it all comes together in the end is a recipe for disaster.

- “Design of content is independent of design of publication” gets in the way of coordinating incremental software development. Adding new content elements has a profound impact on code if a general solution is not found, one that is not steeped in traditional content structure.

- Business instills traditional publishing nomenclature and point-solutions in design that impede establishing long-term design standards. It is far better to collaborate intentions and separate responsibilities.

Traditional management practices for authoring and publishing books overlooks the necessity of collaborative practices to empirically develop software. Software practices must involve greater visibility, coaching, and team empowerment by management - far beyond just monitoring work-units, head-counts, and time.

For Cengage's success and hopefully that of future generations of learners, I would advise Cengage Learning to learn how to tangibly enact these values:

- Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
     - Working software over comprehensive documentation
     - Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
     - Responding to change over following a plan

This starts with trusted collaboration between management and contributors, and ends in the empowerment of teams to shape and constantly evolve their own success.

Great place to work if you want to make a difference

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Clifton Park, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Clifton Park, NY

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The reorganization and Chapter 11 breathed new life in our organization. It is not without its growing pains, and things don't necessarily look the same as they did when we were multiple autonomous businesses under one umbrella, but I don't look the same as I did either. This is a great place to work if you embrace change and challenge. There is opportunity to stretch your limits and contribute if you want. Executive leadership is much more open and transparent than in years prior and sometimes honesty hurts, but its refreshing and makes me more confident in the future.

Cons

As a result of our transition, there are many new processes being implemented and lots of new buzzwords and acronyms. Change is happening quickly. If you can't learn on the fly and adapt easily to change, this is not the place for you.

Continue communicating - talking and listening. Don't burn out the top talent in the organization. We need them to get to where we want to be!

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!