Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Inspiring the world to learn

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Cengage Learning engages learners and scholars with innovative & compelling products. We get to be a part of a company that improves lives through learning.
- The people who work at Cengage are incredible. You won't find more dedicated, interesting, and collaborative colleagues anywhere else.
- The people managers in my group are great and accessible. They value employees and commit time to coaching and feedback and to developing people.
- Great benefits: time off, health and dental, flexible schedules, transit benefits, matching charitable gifts, bonus and profit sharing plans.
- The management team has gelled over the past year. They have made significant changes, all of which make a lot of sense, focusing groups by market segment and empowering employees.
- Discretionary dress code: use your judgment on what to wear to work based on where you are & who you will interact with.

Cons

- Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements. Each group manages this differently, however, based on business needs. YMMV.
- Our CEO is pushing for speed and for us to be more nimble. The company needs to take a microscope to the policies and systems that are cumbersome and prevent speed in decision making or execution.
- Our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The company culture does not always recognize transferable skill sets in its employees, with tendencies to pigeon hole "print people" as unable to be part of digital solutions. We need to break down those walls.

- Recognize skill sets (design, project management, content creation) that are transferable regardless of medium. Actively challenge, develop, and train employees to grow with the company.
- Invest more in professional development of employees. Give managers specific budgets to tailor development programs for their teams.
- Keep up the great & open communication with employees. Keep going in the direction of empowerment and with pushing decision making downward.

413 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

We are headed in the right direction.

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many interesting challenges and opportunities as we continue our transition to a digital company. We have senior management that understands what is necessary and are making positive changes.

Cons

As with many large corporations, the culture and workflows tend to get bogged down by bureaucracy.

Keep enabling grass roots changes to happen. Be aggressive with change as much as possible. We need to get to a small company feeling and culture to improve our nimbleness. Absolutely need more improvement on aligning product and technology.

Best 1st job out of college I could have asked for.

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture at Cengage is highly positive and supportive. Colleagues and management truly care about your progress and are very willing to take the time to properly train you, provide best practices, and assist when needed. As a Learning Consultant you are given autonomy to manage your territory and the resources you need to achieve mastery. You are also well aware of your purpose in the company and in education. There is huge variability in the position as well, and are constantly learning new things, solving problems, and helping new people. I was given huge responsibility to make important decisions, organize large events, set my own schedule, and market myself. Overall, I am very happy to be a part of a company with such a passion to improve education and positivity toward its employees.

Cons

It can be very difficult to locate internal information in a timely manor, as there is no central location to find information. The CRM system that is used internally by the sales and marketing team is clunky, not intuitive, and lacks capabilities common of many CRM systems. I currently use Excel, OneNote, Outlook, and the internet to substitute for the poor CRM system.

Improve the current CRM system, or scrap it despite potential losses in investment. This would improve efficiency for the sales and marketing team and improve employee happiness levels. Get rid of the combination of a laptop + an iPad and provide employees with a SurfacePro 2. It would be much easier to carry around and have all the capabilities of both the iPad and laptop combined. Focus more on corporate social responsibility. It is great to focus on profit and shareholder wealth, but Cengage should really become a leader in education and be known for improving the lives of students and professors.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning