Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

Excellent company to work for !!! Management team always willing to listen. Flexible summer hours. Great co-workers.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very relaxed and casual atmosphere. Great co-workers. Management always willing to listen and doesn't micro-manage.

Cons

Having to go through recent bankruptcy. But on the positive side, Senior Management kept employees informed throughout the entire process.

Increased benefits such has Health Club memberships; Divvy bike memberships, etc.

Other Reviews for Cengage Learning

Inspiring the world to learn

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Cengage Learning engages learners and scholars with innovative & compelling products. We get to be a part of a company that improves lives through learning.
    - The people who work at Cengage are incredible. You won't find more dedicated, interesting, and collaborative colleagues anywhere else.
    - The people managers in my group are great and accessible. They value employees and commit time to coaching and feedback and to developing people.
    - Great benefits: time off, health and dental, flexible schedules, transit benefits, matching charitable gifts, bonus and profit sharing plans.
    - The management team has gelled over the past year. They have made significant changes, all of which make a lot of sense, focusing groups by market segment and empowering employees.
    - Discretionary dress code: use your judgment on what to wear to work based on where you are & who you will interact with.

Cons

- Company appears to be moving towards less flexibility with work-from-home arrangements. Each group manages this differently, however, based on business needs. YMMV.
    - Our CEO is pushing for speed and for us to be more nimble. The company needs to take a microscope to the policies and systems that are cumbersome and prevent speed in decision making or execution.
    - Our markets are dynamic and changing quickly. The company culture does not always recognize transferable skill sets in its employees, with tendencies to pigeon hole "print people" as unable to be part of digital solutions. We need to break down those walls.

- Recognize skill sets (design, project management, content creation) that are transferable regardless of medium. Actively challenge, develop, and train employees to grow with the company.
    - Invest more in professional development of employees. Give managers specific budgets to tailor development programs for their teams.
    - Keep up the great & open communication with employees. Keep going in the direction of empowerment and with pushing decision making downward.

Good freelance, if you could get it

Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Copywriter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cengage Learning part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work was straightforward, if a little tedious

Cons

Hard to get projects unless they have a big surplus. They tend to give the projects to whichever freelancer is pestering them. So pester away.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!