Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

It's an Interesting time to be in Academic Publishing with Cengage Learning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

CEO, Michael Hansen, inherited a difficult situation at Cengage Learning and has clearly brought in a strong upper management team and seems to be heading the Company in the right direction. With his tenure, there has been increased focus and collaboration on more of the right things.

Cons

It takes time to turn a large ship around, and there are still processes in place that are cumbersome and laborious. Although most of the "old guard" are no longer at the company, vestiges of the old culture remain, making it difficult to be quick and nimble.

Compensation tends to lag behind salaries in other Bay Area industries ... and should be evaluated. Work/life balance should also be examined.

Other reviews for Cengage Learning

Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Independence, KY

Pros

Work with great people,
    Really good benefits
    Generous time off

Cons

Feel micromanaged
    Very strict attendance policy - being late is counted the same as not coming in at all

Try trusting your employees more. The new CEO keep as talking about this, but it does not seem to affect anything in my department.

Management Services

Current Employee - Product Management  in  Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Product Management in Mason, OH

Pros

The new CEO is going to take this company places, he is very personable and wants to empower the employees.He wants to hear and is listening to the employees from all levels. Cengage is a great company as a whole. We have great products to engage students and we're improving on them everyday.

Cons

Management Services doesn't seem to want to empower the employees. We have great employees why do we want to make them miserable by not treating us like adults and like we're not part of the whole company. We seem to have separate rules from the rest of the company. Dress code was abolished by CEO but not in management services. Working from home for salary and hourly employees is allowed else where but not in MS. Raises didn't even cover the rise in health care yet alone cost of living. Also they want everyone to have a college degree to move up, we have managers that don't have a degree. What happened to work experience with the company? Upper management at MS needs to get on board with what our CEO is trying to do. We on the MS side aren't asking for much. Just a little trust in the employees. . I would recommend Cengage overall as a great place to work but I would warn that if possible not MS.

Get upper management in MS on board with what the CEO is trying to do. One small thing, help make it enjoyable to come to work. I know be glad you have a job, I AM and there are worse companies but why wouldn't you want to make the list of one of the BEST companies to work for? It truly wouldn't take much.

Cengage Learning Response

May 12, 2014CEO

Thanks for your compliment but also for your frank feedback. I’ve seen several comments around Management Services here. There seem to be some disconnects. We remain committed to ongoing dialogue ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!