Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Great industry, challenging internal climate.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time

Pros

Autonomy, strong direct managers, engaging & challenging industry, great colleagues, daily problem-solving, empowerment, great customers.

Cons

Challenging internal climate with weak product development leadership (leadership culture of fear rather than collaboration). Inefficient product development procedures, dramatic culture shift without the resources and internal infrastructure to support the suggested pace and changes.

Leadership should help, not instill fear in product development teams/leaders.

443 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

Quickly moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people make this company a great place to work. For the most part, people have a spirit of being "in it together" during this transformation from a traditional textbook publisher to a provider of digital learning solutions. Our CEO's motto - Focus, Collaboration, and Speed - is great because with a company this big, and changing this rapidly, we really need the reminder. I have had several managers here and all have been supportive of my personal goals, and I generally find that there's a fair amount of flexibility and good work-life balance.

Cons

Sometimes our size and organizational structure can be prohibitive, especially when working with more than one department. Some departments still seem protective of the past. Even when we're focused and excited, it can be difficult to get things done on any sort of large scale.

Keep showing employees that they are valued. You're making good strides recently by hosting the Q&A Town Halls, simplifying PTM, eliminating the dress code, and the recent unexpected bonuses. These are all things that motivate our teams. I've recently interviewed candidates who want to join CL because their friends like the culture, which is something I did not hear a year or two ago. This is how we'll continue to grow.

Cengage Learning Response

Jul 1, 2014CEO

Thanks for your optimism. We want to be a “big” small company and benefit from the impact that our scale and size offers in education, while acting like a small, collaborative enterprise. If you have ... More

Despite the economy over the past ten years, this has been a pretty good place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for more than 10 years and have had the best coworkers in all of the departments I have worked in. Middle management is variable, some managers were great, some not so much. Work/life balance is pretty good. Benefits are industry standard. We've been through a lot of CEOs and a bankruptcy, but it seems we're on the right track. It's not smooth sailing, but employees are slowly becoming cautiously optimistic.

Cons

In the last department I was in management rewarded the "schmoozers" who actually did very little work, and ignored those who quietly got a whole lot of work done, but in other departments the managers actually knew who was doing the work and really appreciated them with any means at their disposal. (Decent raises was not at their disposal.)

Change the PTM. The way it is used now, Abraham Lincoln would have a goal of "end Civil War" and would have gotten a "meets expectations". Find a way to make goal that are hard to attain, and really deserve recognition stand out from those smaller more basic goals.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning