There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Good company in flux; seems to be pulling through with flying colors

Current Employee - Content Developer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Content Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you must work for corporate America, this is the lesser of many evils - you're actually helping people enrich their lives.
Lots of brilliant people to work with and learn from.
A very supportive culture in terms of growth and development (both professional and personal), and work/life balance.
Supportive of innovation and new ideas.
What do you want to teach yourself? Go grab one of the other department's textbooks and away you go.
A CEO that seems genuine, intelligent, human, and forward-thinking.

Cons

It seems that employees can have an exceedingly wide range of experiences here, depending on which department and team they work with/for.
Lots of people seem to be leaving, every month; most by choice, as far as I am aware. I don't know why, and perhaps that's normal at a company this large, but it does strike me as odd.
Bureaucratic in nature: their hiring process can drag on for months, getting basic office supplies requires a web-based form which requires a username and password to access and a Manager's signature and cost center to actually use, and just getting an offer letter to a contractor that a team decides to hire can take up to a month.

My advice is not to the CEO, because I get the impression that he "gets it". My advice is to the managers two, three and four levels below him - understand what it means to be a software company, if that is the direction your department/product line is headed, and then re-evaluate absolutely everything you think you know about educational publishing. There seems to be a tremendous gap at this point in the company's history, between the skill-set and knowledge base of middle management and the direction the company is actually headed in.

reviews filtered by

A Company Trying to Adapt to Shifting Markets

Former Employee - Editor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Editor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits were good. Coworkers were great.

Cons

Lack of upward advancement opportunities. Management levels are at cross-purposes with each other. It is unclear where the industry is heading.

Keep breaking down barriers to communication and creating an open and accountable workplace. There are still dysfunctional, ineffective, CYA pockets at CL.

Positive experience.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Committed, enthusiastic and hard-working colleagues. Good overall benefits package.

Cons

Provide more vacation time to new hires.
    Work-life balance is reasonable for some and not for others.

Be more open to allowing telecommuting a few days per week. In addition to communicating in large group settings, interact one-on-one with folks in the various offices.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning