There are newer employer reviews for Cenovus

Probably the best company I have worked for.

Current Contractor - Recruitment Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Current Contractor - Recruitment Advisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I love that we truly try to be as environmentally responsible as possible, that we strive to be innovative and that new ideas are heard and implemented. There are lots of growth opportunities within our organization and it is an overall great environment to work in.

Cons

We're a large company, so sometimes things can move slowly in terms of approvals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A laid back culture with good people, slowing going downhill due to HP

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Cenovus (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly culture -Not deadline oriented -Good work/life balance -Light on bureaucracy / excessive paperwork

Cons

-Promotions due to tenure rather than merit result in subpar leadership -IT attempting to save money by using HP is resulting in poor responsiveness to business demands -'Old oil' culture of controlling information flow, opaque management decisions

Advice to Management

-The difference between the image portrayed ("Innovative" and "Young") and the reality is a shock for most new staff, especially the younger generations.

Overall experience will depend on which department you work in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cenovus

Pros

Vacation policy- a positive and a negative. Far too many 55+ people still working there because they get almost half the year off. This leaves little room for advancement.

Cons

Far too many people in positions that they shouldn't be in because they are sadly lacking in experience. The company won't hire many experienced people and ends up with poorly trained people lacking knowledge and understanding. It leans too heavily on senior people to train people and it is never ending. The company could care less about making money or losing money especially in commercial departments.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are no longer a gas company and stop putting gas people into crude oil positions that they have no business being in. Far too many people in the company think it is a country club and don't know what hard work is. Some of senior management are great. Most of them are sadly lacking in crude oil experience and knowledge.