There are newer employer reviews for Centene

A true disappointment. Everything that I've read in these reviews is accurate.

Current Employee - Business Analyst III in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Business Analyst III in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Centene full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The dry cleaning benefit.
The availability of decent pens.
There is never a dull moment.
That is about it.

Initially, I felt as if my work was fulfilling a higher purpose with the impact the company appears to make on the lives of individuals in "vulnerable populations." This was what appealed to me.

Cons

Then the impact on the lives of people who work for the company became evident. Horribly understaffed. How they expect to handle any sort of expansion is beyond me.

Nah. Why bother? The company is unsustainable as is and they don't listen anyway.

190 Other Employee Reviews for Centene (View Most Recent)

Not even sure what to say....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Money is competitve - Cafeteria is nice. Clayton loacation is central

Cons

There is no work-life balance. Turn-over is amazing!

You think you are going to work for a company that "makes a difference" only to find they extort money from various states in order to turn a large profit. These are Medicaid dollars funding the lavish lifestyles of the executives, and also the new building with its fountains, high tech security, etc.

Beware of the specialty companies especially. You don't want to be around when the government finally gets around to auditing their books.

I think someone else said it before - "NEVERMIND" How many of us have asked for the same things - and we have been completely ignored. My saving grace? I'm out of there. After 6 years of employment, (abuse), I have to say, that was the worst job of my life. It cost me and my family so much.

Happy to be gone.

Former Employee - Applications Software Engineer in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Applications Software Engineer in Clayton, MO

I worked at Centene full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health benefits.
    On site cafe.
    Worked with some great people.

Cons

Leadership will praise your hard work and long hours but less than a minute later will tell you that you should be happy you have a job in this economy.

Too many managers and not enough staff to actually do the work which leads to a very stressful work environment trying to turn a deliverable around in a short period of time.

My advice would be to begin thinking of your IT staff as an valuable asset and not as a expendible resource.

Comments from IT leadership describing why IT professionals chose IT as a career like "this is the life we chose" only highlights your distain for your employees. I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody in IT who chose it as a career so they could work long hours including weekends and major holidays.

There are newer employer reviews for Centene