Centene
www.centene.com Saint Louis, MO 5000+ Employees

High Risk, High Reward

Web Team (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

Pros- Good equipment and resources
- Lots of opportunities
- Hard working people

Cons- Little to no communication
- No feedback mechanisms
- Poor planning and strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it is your job to make money for the shareholders, they are not the most important things in the company. Supporting the people that actually run your company almost seems like an afterthought. There are no organization charts, seating charts, no pictures of anyone except the CEO and communication about anything is hard to come by. There is no ongoing conversation with leaders, just quarterly treks down from the ivory tower to address the masses. You need to create time and space for employees to have dialog with senior leadership. "Leaders" have thought processes and ideals that have helped them become successful and sharing them will only bring greater success to everyone... but as today most employees will never hear them.

It's no good to work for a "growing company" if you will only use that fact to excuse the missteps of management. You need to create a feedback loop for employees to voice their concerns since the Human Resources department is virtually incapable of providing any assistance to employees. Middle management will always hide the problems from bubbling up, so go around them. Start doing 360 or peer reviews as standard practice, if there is a bad apple you won’t have to wait for 9 people to leave before finding out.

Lastly, the world is no longer top down and good ideas come from everywhere. I have more freedom to connect, collaborate and communicate outside of the company than inside. I believe this boils down to trusting the people you hire and letting them run with simple guidelines. Hire "leaders" over managers and create a culture that people will feel safe, supported and set up for success.

review

Health Check Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Centene full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great company to work for. Cons: position elimination without any notice Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Robber Barons of Taxpayer Money

(Former Employee)

I worked at Centene

Pros: They pay well but act as though they purchased you at… Cons: Where to begin: rude and obnoxious know it all top level and senior managers who really know little; poor strategic skills as demonstrated in… Advice to Senior Management: Sell out to another company, enjoy your payout from the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Centene.

Worked for Centene? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Centene reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Centene CEO Michael F. Neidorff. All reviews posted anonymously by Centene employees.